The views expressed in community are solely the opinions of participants, and do not reflect those of What to Expect. Learn more about our guidelines
Just so you know, What to Expect may make commissions on shopping links on this page.

Does anyone regret having kids?

I am posting this here because it's anonymous and I can't talk about it with anyone IRL, because I would NEVER want it to come back to my girl and have her feel unwanted. I really do love her to bits. But I regret having kids. I never wanted kids but after I met my husband, he wanted them and I let him and society in general talk me into it. Guess who's life changed and who's didn't? I miss my old life, I get so bored at home looking after a baby all day. I've never been one to play with kids. People say 'Just do what you used to do before you had kids, but do it with them', but I can't, I enjoyed a lot of solitary activities like reading, gardening, hiking, also travelling and camping with my husband, and although technically you can do those with kids, it's much more difficult and not the same experience. We have been camping twice since our girl was born and the whole time I was just looking after her, and didn't really get to enjoy the experience. I miss my pre-baby body, I have put on 10kg and am about 3 dress sizes bigger. I don't fit any of my old clothes that I love. I am trying to lose weight but I can barely fit in a 20 minute workout each day. I miss being able to sleep when I want to, and weekend sleep-ins.

Sorry this turned into a longer post than I meant! I guess I just need to vent, and am wondering if anyone else feels the same? I don't have PP depression, I just miss my old life. Does it get better once kids get older and more independent, or does it come with a new set of problems and worries?

Like Love Hug Funny Sad Wow
20+ Similar Discussions Found
38 Comments
Oldest First
M
Maria7v

First, I’d like to say that your feelings are valid. I’m sorry that this is how you’re feeling and also glad that you’re being honest with yourself. Being a parent is just a new stage in life and you’re right, nothing is ever the same. I didn’t really think about having kids until I met my husband, and we’re doing great co parenting. I think that has a lot of influence on how parenthood will affect you individually. Yes, we do the same things as before but the experiences are different and the amount of work is insane. Working on our mindset can have a positive impact on how we view, perceive and experience things. Accepting that things will never be the same is difficult and maybe only time will help to enjoy this new stage in life as parents. Not everyone enjoys it all, all the time or right away. It’s a journey and I hope you can find ways to embrace bits of it. Ask for help and accept it from those around you so that you can enjoy some of the things that you did before becoming a parent or just to help your mental health.

BendyGirl85
@Maria7v,

Thank you so much for your kind words! ❤️

J
JadeMa89

Is returning to work an option? I love my baby boy, but love him even more when I can have some time away and use my brain at work. We have so much fun before and after work and on my days off. I feel we get more quality time and I'm more present. Can you also get family or a babysitter to give you a couple of hours off per week so you can engage in a hobby or one of your solitary activities?

BendyGirl85
@JadeMa89,

I could but I don't want to return to the same job I was doing previously! I was a production manager at a busy factory and it was a long hours, high stress job. Before that I was an office manager and I didn't enjoy that either. I would love to find some charity or 'easy' job that I loved or feel like I'm making a difference, I'm lucky that we don't need my income, I need to start looking around.

m
mamamamamama8

Being a SAHM is not right for everyone and there’s no shame in it. Go back to work if you can. Also, have your husband take the baby on his own for part of the weekend so you can sit and read for an hour or go see friends. It’s his baby too and his life should absolutely change.

BendyGirl85
@mamamamamama8,

We moved into a new house we built just before baby was born, so my husband spends all weekend working on that. I think even if I could get him to take a break for a day and come out with us somewhere it would help, we haven't been anywhere for ages, and the weekends end up feeling just like the rest of the week!

m
mamamamamama8
@BendyGirl85,

he can take an hour off from projects to give you what you need. As long as you have heat, water, and electric, anything else can wait.

k
kjm78

I've always wanted kids but I certainly didn't want twins. And I don't feel bad saying that because it's hard AF. We planned on 2 kids total. My daughter was 3 when we tried for our second pregnancy and I got pregnant with twins. So we went from 1 kid to 3. My 3 year old was starting preschool on a scholarship so I would've continued working and I would've only had to pay for 1 kid in daycare. But I had to become a SAHM because daycare for 2 babies would've taken everything I made. I had to buy a bigger vehicle for 3 carseats. We bought a 3 bedroom house with the intent of having 2 kids. I love our house but we're moving next year because we just don't have enough space. Having twins has changed a lot for us, financially and mentally. I couldn't enjoy the newborn phase as much as I did with my first baby because I was too busy to enjoy it. It felt like nothing but work and no reward. It's gotten a lot easier but it's definitely been rough.

BendyGirl85
@kjm78,

Oh my gosh, twins! You are super mum. This is my dread if we have another baby, twins run very strongly on both my husband's and my family!

GothQueen9419

your feelings are valid. I went through all of that after i had my first. I wish we waited before we had her due to a lot of things that snowballed after having her, but I love our 2 babies to bits and I'm trying to convince my dh for a 3rd!

BendyGirl85
@GothQueen9419,

I love my baby to bits too, but I miss so much about my old life! Hoping it gets more 'fun' soon.

V
VS7389

Its absolutely okay to miss your old life. We are giving up a lot right now. I told my husband this weekend that if it were just two of us we would just be watching TV quietly while lying on the couch and it would be an amazing Sunday. This doesn't discount in any way the love I feel for my son.

I have had similar feelings as yours many times. I was at my best weight wise before I conceived my son. I looked and felt really good. Now I have 20kgs to lose. So I hear you!

I agree with previous posters, my work really helps me regain the energy I need to interact and play with my little guy when he gets back home from daycare. I would have gone crazy without it.

BendyGirl85
@VS7389,

Thank you for sharing! It makes me feel not so awful that other women feel the same ❤️

MamaEidson

Do I regret having kids? No. Do I miss my life before kids? Absolutely. Money wasn’t tight. I could sleep in. I could actually finish a cup of coffee. We could go out with friends at the drop of a hat or stay late at family functions without worrying about kids having meltdowns because it’s their bedtime. I had time for hobbies and time to decompress. That doesn’t happen now so I’m just a ball of stress all the time. But I do love my kids and I know this is all just a phase of life. Soon enough they’ll be teenagers and hate me and then they’ll be moving out and the house will be too quiet.

BendyGirl85
@MamaEidson,

I think you've captured perfectly how I feel! I'm hoping I enjoy the grown up stages of children more than the baby stage!

MamaEidson
@BendyGirl85,

it’s fun to see them grow into their own little person. It’s stressful, but we’ll get there, mama! Hang in there!

U
Unbelievable11
@MamaEidson,

lol yes this about sums it up

a
allik4tt

I don’t regret it at all. I definitely do miss the things you mentioned, I love alone time, hiking, waking up slow, etc. all of that is kind of non existent with a baby. I recall you saying your MIL wanted her for a sleepover, maybe not that but maybe you could let her or someone watch your girl for a bit so you can get some you time? It’s still so important for us to try and get time to ourselves when we can. And like some other posters said, going back to work helped them too. I am a SAHM, so I feel you, but I find the small moments where I do something even for a couple hours recharges me when i get back home. I don’t do it enough though. As for things like camping, that will get a lot more fun when the kids are older. We have camped with my husbands daughter who was 8 at the time and it was nice. But I think even much younger than that would be fun lol. For me I found going to the pool was miserable for me this past summer, as she almost always needed a nap or was cranky so I was trying to soothe and nap her while everyone else splashed around. I know that’ll get better in the coming years though

BendyGirl85
@allik4tt,

Yes my MIL is keen to take her anytime, and I should take her up on it more. It's stupid but as a SAHM I feel guilty sending her out just to get some me time! I need to get over that.

mamajackers

A lot of women feel the way you do. It’s very normal and common. In comparison, I’ve wanted to be a mom my WHOLE entire life. Literally all I have ever dreamed of. And I am struggling. I don’t regret having kids, but I think about everything you just mentioned everyday, multiple times a day. It’s even harder bc I feel like I’ve let myself down, because I’m living my dream, yet I think “this is it?”

Also waiting for it to get better soon.

All those things you mentioned you miss doing, will happen again. Probably before you know it. Hang in there❤️

BendyGirl85
@mamajackers,

I knew being a mum wouldn't be easy, but it's so much harder than I expected! Hoping it gets easier for us both soon ❤️

L
LaurenJSmith3
@mamajackers,

I feel the same way as everyone in this thread but your message particularly resonates with me. I didn’t want kids my whole life – in fact, for a long time I didn’t want kids – but when my husband and I finally decide to go for it, it took me a long time to fall pregnant. Eventually we ended up doing IVF because along the journey I decided I really want a kid after all. But now I often have to remind myself that this was my “dream”. There are lots of highs (especially as he grows older), but man, I miss everything the OP said! This past weekend was my birthday and all I wanted was time: time to read and time to go see a movie – and I got to do both and it was the BEST. I’m trying to be grateful for the ability to thoroughly enjoy these small things I once took for granted.

CanadianMeg

I think you need to talk to your husband. You need time to yourself. When you go camping for example, it can’t be all on you. Both of you are responsible for the baby.

I went through this with my first. I was told by a nurse to have at least an hour a week minimum to do whatever I wanted that wasn’t related to baby, house, etc. It helped a lot. I also went back to school and in the evenings my DH hung out with the baby while I studied.

I’m also not really a baby person though. I love the snuggles and all, but I do prefer the toddler stage. Toddlerhood brings its own challenges, but it’s nice to not be so heavily depended upon and once they can speak they can actually say what they want. While I love my babies, I kinda wish they came out as toddlers ��