Allow Window Closure + Podcast to Continue Playing (Desktop)

• Hi all,

One feature I loved on the Pocket Casts Desktop app on MacOS is that I could “close” the Pocket Casts App, but not quit the app so the audio from the podcast I was listening to would continue to play.

Since the move to 2.0 and Electron, anytime I close the app window, the podcast will stop playing. This also means that the app window itself must be open WITH the MiniPlayer or else the MiniPlayer won’t function.

The closest workaround I’ve found is to minimize the window, but if I’m trying to conserve screen space or not using multiple monitors, this takes up valuable screen real estate.

Is there any way this previous functionality can be restored with the new Electron apps? Thank you!

Sean

• This is huge. Audio-Playing Apps on Mac absolutely need to continue playing after closing the window. Please Pocketcasts-Team, re-activate this feature. It’s like audio stopping on a phone when you lock the screen.

• @sdquinn @niorad One workaround that may be useful is to use the Hide function — ⌘+H or you can access it via Pocket Casts > Hide Pocket Casts. This will allow the audio to continue playing, but will hide the app’s open windows.

This does include hiding the mini player, but may be useful in some scenarios.

I have forwarded along this feedback to our team, though. I can’t offer an estimated timeframe or confirm that this change will be implemented, but hopefully our developers will consider it soon!

• @mikerockwell

the hiding works well as alternative, thanks! It still would be great to have again, since it’s kind of a platform-standard on Mac, along with Dock-Icon-Context-Menu-Play/Pause.

Thanks for the quick feedback, glad to know it’s being heard!

• It’s also kind-of a bug, because after closing the window, the mini-player still stays open, but doesn’t play or react on input, while still showing the last played episode-cover.

• @niorad Glad to hear the hiding works as a workaround!

We’ll also note about the issue of the mini player not reacting on input. Thanks for bringing it up!

• I’ve also found this behaviour to be quite frustrating after years of being able to close the window.

• Thanks for your input, @suburbiaboy.

I’ve forwarded your feedback to our team as well.

• Consider this another vote for this bug.

It was the first thing I noticed when I upgraded to version 2.0.3 on my Mac and I am already missing the functionality.

• Thank you for your feedback @billsmith4–I’ve forwarded it to our team as well.

• The latest Beta Version will now play after (x)-closing the window. That was amazingly quick, thanks!

• @niorad, thanks for following up and sharing the positive feedback! I’ll pass that forward to our team as well :D

Reply to Allow Window Closure + Podcast to Continue Playing (Desktop)