More options for downloads on metered networks

• The setting in “Storage & data use”/”Warn before using data” does not do what it says in the description when it comes to downloads. The description reads: 

“Warn before allowing metered networks to download or stream episodes”

But there is no warning for downloads with this setting enabled, instead downloads are silently queued.

I think it would make much more sense to have separate settings for streams and downloads on metered networks, with more choices for downloads. 

For streams, the current warning/no warning setting makes sense. I would set this to no warning as the amount of mobile data that I risk being used by streaming is pretty limited, and I won’t want to have to take out my phone to dismiss the warning.

For downloads, I think the following three choices would cover all scenarios:

• Download immediately. E.g. for people with unlimited mobile data plans (since AFAIK there is no reliable way to automatically detect these).
    • Queue download. Will download later when on unmetered WiFi. This is what happens currently with the warning setting enabled.
    • Ask. This would be my preferred seeing as I usually want to queue downloads, but when I’m on a train and know that network coverage will be patchy I sometimes want to download stuff even on my metered mobile connection.

Off topic: WordPress is horrible as a support forum host. This is my second attempt at posting this, the first time around when clicking “Publish” the post just disappeared – let’s see if it works this time. Also logging in with a password is impossible and all sorts of other things go wrong all the time.

• It looks like this is a duplicate request of https://forums.pocketcasts.com/forums/topic/feature-request-separate-settings-on-metered-networks-for-downloads-streams/?view=all

We’ve filed your feedback to our ideas board :)

[…] This is my second attempt at posting this, the first time around when clicking “Publish” the post just disappeared – let’s see if it works this time. Also logging in with a password is impossible and all sorts of other things go wrong all the time.

We appreciate your feedback here and are working on improving on this experience.

• The topic ‘More options for downloads on metered networks’ is closed to new replies.