Progress sync not working with new Sonos App

• Chiming in as well – playback progress doesn’t sync whatsoever and there are no jump back/forward options in the Sonos app. I’m assuming this can be blamed on Sonos but it’s very frustrating either way.

• Hi, @acrenz and @grahamwjenkins! We started getting more reports about this since Sonos released their new app. And while we suspect that the issue is mostly from their side, we have also been looking into how we might be able to fix this issue from our end. We can’t give an exact timeframe for when the fix/workaround will be available, however.

In the meantime, you may want to consider using AirPlay/Bluetooth to play to your Sonos device if the issue becomes unbearable.

• It seems progress is being made, as I was finally able to reauthorize Pocket Casts to my Sonos setup. But it appears progress is still not syncing. Here’s hoping that comes next.

• Thanks for the update, @eriktheweb

Our team is still hard at work investigating this. We hope to be able to release some changes to address this soon.

• Adding myself to the thread to get updates.

For me, progress sync barely works with the Sonos Android app. Sometimes, episode progress gets synced to PC, but it’s a toss-up whether it will happen or not. Regardless, the Sonos Android app does not recognize episode progress from PC, and just restarts an in-progress episode.

Curiously, the old Sonos Windows app seems to work just fine. Two-way progress sync with PC, no problem.

It’s a killer feature, I’m looking forward to getting it back again on the mobile app!

• @acrenz, thank you for you’re additional comments. We still don’t have a timeframe for a fix, but hopefully our developers will have one soon.

• Good evening!

Checking in as it’s been 10 days since the last update and over 2 months this problem started showing up. I understand that this is a regression on the part of Sonos, but I’m wondering if you have any updates to share as to the root cause of this and steps that are being taken to fix it.

Per my observation this problem has even gotten slightly worse; like so:

After the absolute debacle of an update of the Sonos app, if I went to the PocketCasts In Progress section in the Sonos app, the episode that was already started would start at the beginning. However, if I actually went into the specific podcast itself in the Sonos app’s PocketCasts section and played the episode in question, it would start in the middle where I expected it to. A bit cumbersome and not obvious, but that seemed to work consistently. At the moment, however, even that doesn’t work! Very frustrating!

It’s essential to be able to listen to a podcast while out of home during the day and continue listening to it on my Sonos system when I return home.

I notice the Audible app I have, for example, can cast directly to my Sonos system on the same network without using Airplay or Bluetooth. Can this be added as a feature to the PocketCasts app so that I don’t have to deal with the absolutely terrible way Sonos releases software?

One can dream!

This aside, I do appreciate PocketCasts and enjoy using it daily.

Best,

Jason

• Hi, just to add to the background here.

I have been using the old Sonos app until they forced us to upgrade to the new POS one last week. Until then the integration between Pocketcasts and Sonos worked perfectly. Now, changes (play progress) are no longer being synced back to Pocketcasts. I can play podcasts just fine in the new Sonos app and I have the Pocketcasts ‘New Releases’ on my Sonos home screen which seems to be fine. Just no syncing of progress.

Sonos app: 80.05.06. Pocketcasts app: 7.69rc1. Android 14 (June security update)

Thanks

• @jasongjacob @tnyrbrts thanks for chiming in! Our team is still hard at work investigating this. However, it will likely take some time to address this particular issue.

• I’m still having difficulty with the New Releases syncing. Starred, In progress, etc are all syncing properly, but I get an error for New Releases. I’m also having an issue intermittently where I select an episode, but the next episode in the list starts instead.

Any suggestions or just waiting still?

• @garydrinnen2 Unfortunately, we don’t have an estimated timeframe for a fix. Hopefully, we’ll be able to work with Sonos to have this resolved soon.

• @staff-frank this morning Sonos has started syncing back to Pocketcasts again. I tried three different podcasts and they all synced.

Thanks for the work on this!

• @tnyrbrts, I’m glad to hear that this is working for you now. I know Sonos recently issued a statement that they will be focusing on improvements to the Sonos app, so hopefully things will be improving from here. :)

Reply to Progress sync not working with new Sonos App