Fallout 4

Fallout 4

View Stats:
Eriksen Nov 17, 2015 @ 1:24pm
Does preston garvey mission ever stop ?
Every single time i go to sanctuary and even get close to preston garvey ( The first minuteman you meet) he gives me a mission to help out a settlment and 9/10 times its abernathy farm.

Does these quests ever stop ? i cant even use him as a companion he keeps on giving me mission to help out farms. I think i have done like 15-20 of those mission allready just to gain some XP/Ammo or find some cool weapons/armor.
'
Anyone else gotten tons of mission from this guy ? At the moment i think i have 5-6 missions in my log i gotten from preston just by talking him as a companion to do some killing, yes he gives me missions while he is my current companion to.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 73 comments
Kommissar K Nov 17, 2015 @ 1:27pm 
Pretty sure they're just radiant quests that are proceduerally generated. If you've done more than 2-3 of em without any indication of a "real" quest, then just consider that quest chain on hold.
Eriksen Nov 17, 2015 @ 1:31pm 
Originally posted by Kommissar Klose:
Pretty sure they're just radiant quests that are proceduerally generated. If you've done more than 2-3 of em without any indication of a "real" quest, then just consider that quest chain on hold.

probably, Guess the settlments are often under attack/got problems with ghouls and raiders. on the other side i did find allot of cool stuff clearing the buildings i got led to by those quest but i usually always get the mission to help out Abernathy farm, and i cleared out all the places they send me to 2 times :P
Zombinater007 Nov 17, 2015 @ 1:32pm 
The minutemen main questline is techinically over once you retake the old Minutemen base. The rest are just to get other settlements or help others that are in trouble.
Kommissar K Nov 17, 2015 @ 1:33pm 
Originally posted by EX Zombinater007:
The minutemen main questline is techinically over once you retake the old Minutemen base. The rest are just to get other settlements or help others that are in trouble.
Well the question largely is how can you tell you've also claimed all the settlements (besides I guess, checking a list online or something).
Zombinater007 Nov 17, 2015 @ 1:37pm 
From what I have read, there are 12 (Maybe more) settlements, so you could check that way.
cassiels Nov 17, 2015 @ 1:56pm 
I have nineteen settlements at the moment. I have not seen Abernathy Farm yet.

The Garvey quests are procedurally generated as long as you don't advance the Minutemen questline, I think. I have done loads of them because that way you find new places to build settlements, new enemies, new stuff and gear. I wanted to have some good perks before I continue the main quest.
Last edited by cassiels; Nov 17, 2015 @ 1:57pm
Kalsu Nov 19, 2015 @ 7:08pm 
It's frigin stupid that he give you another quest as soon as you turn in the last one and the fact that they have to be done right away since they are time based.
I usually dont use fast travel when i play those rpg fps but in this game it's almost mandatory if you don't want to fail them.
There should be an option to ask him for those quests instead of having him give them automatically right after you turn in the old one.
Only way to avoid those quest is to either complete the quest and not turn them in (instead of reporting to preston you can just leave them and they will get completed after a while) or run away from him right after you turn them in.
So basically you avoid him . How the ♥♥♥♥ can i RP with those stupid conditions?

Please fix this annoying mechanic!
Last edited by Kalsu; Nov 19, 2015 @ 7:09pm
Yuriqa Nov 19, 2015 @ 7:16pm 
Originally posted by Kalsue:
It's frigin stupid that he give you another quest as soon as you turn in the last one and the fact that they have to be done right away since they are time based.
I usually dont use fast travel when i play those rpg fps but in this game it's almost mandatory if you don't want to fail them.
There should be an option to ask him for those quests instead of having him give them automatically right after you turn in the old one.
Only way to avoid those quest is to either complete the quest and not turn them in (instead of reporting to preston you can just leave them and they will get completed after a while) or run away from him right after you turn them in.
So basically you avoid him . How the ♥♥♥♥ can i RP with those stupid conditions?

Please fix this annoying mechanic!

Yes it would be much more better if you can ask those quests and its not like when you see Garvey and then he just give you another mission like it or not...
Last edited by Yuriqa; Nov 19, 2015 @ 7:18pm
sir_geryon Nov 19, 2015 @ 7:17pm 
If you complete the quests but refrain from talking to Preston, they won't fail even if you take months.
Yuriqa Nov 19, 2015 @ 7:19pm 
Originally posted by sir_geryon:
If you complete the quests but refrain from talking to Preston, they won't fail even if you take months.

Yes but it is still annoying thing.. It would be muchmuch better if you just can ask those quests..
Cakefiend Nov 25, 2015 @ 2:05pm 
Sigh... pretty much given up on turning in quests to him, because of the "oh thanks, now here's another one or two or three WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN!?" Gee, avoiding you because I don't need another vaguely-timed mission? I've pretty much moved my home base to another settlement to help avoid Preston, and I guess I'll always have a couple of outstanding quests to turn in to him until I feel like being sent to fetch sandwiches again.

I'm the general. YOU go do it, Preston! All you do is sit around and stare at the test pattern on TV anyways.

Edit: HAH! Figured it out, via suggestions from elsewhere and a little trial and error. Here's the rundown:

1. Walk up to Preston and talk to him to start turning in the quest. He'll say a random thank-you/grats line.

2. Stay in front of Preston for the moment. He will now say something along the lines of "I have a new mission for you." Let him say this first line, otherwise the turn-in XP doesn't seem to pop properly in the next step.

3. As Preston is beginning to speak the first few words of the actual mission, walk/run away from him slightly and bring up your Pip-boy the moment you see the XP reward for the quest you just turned in. (If you stay standing there staring at Preston, the Pip-boy seems unresponsive. To be safe, you want to at least stay within earshot for this step or the turn-in XP may not pop.)

4. Fast-travel to somewhere else (Red Rocket Truck Stop will do).

5. Wait a few moments to make sure the new mission didn't register. Bask in the glow of the quest reward XP.

6. Done! :D

I managed to do this for two quests in a row, fast-traveling to Red Rocket Truck Stop both times without the new quest registering. Take that, Preston!
Last edited by Cakefiend; Nov 26, 2015 @ 5:20am
Walbatross Nov 28, 2015 @ 5:54am 
Originally posted by Cakefiend:
Sigh... pretty much given up on turning in quests to him, because of the "oh thanks, now here's another one or two or three WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN!?" Gee, avoiding you because I don't need another vaguely-timed mission? I've pretty much moved my home base to another settlement to help avoid Preston, and I guess I'll always have a couple of outstanding quests to turn in to him until I feel like being sent to fetch sandwiches again.

I'm the general. YOU go do it, Preston! All you do is sit around and stare at the test pattern on TV anyways.

Edit: HAH! Figured it out, via suggestions from elsewhere and a little trial and error. Here's the rundown:

1. Walk up to Preston and talk to him to start turning in the quest. He'll say a random thank-you/grats line.

2. Stay in front of Preston for the moment. He will now say something along the lines of "I have a new mission for you." Let him say this first line, otherwise the turn-in XP doesn't seem to pop properly in the next step.

3. As Preston is beginning to speak the first few words of the actual mission, walk/run away from him slightly and bring up your Pip-boy the moment you see the XP reward for the quest you just turned in. (If you stay standing there staring at Preston, the Pip-boy seems unresponsive. To be safe, you want to at least stay within earshot for this step or the turn-in XP may not pop.)

4. Fast-travel to somewhere else (Red Rocket Truck Stop will do).

5. Wait a few moments to make sure the new mission didn't register. Bask in the glow of the quest reward XP.

6. Done! :D

I managed to do this for two quests in a row, fast-traveling to Red Rocket Truck Stop both times without the new quest registering. Take that, Preston!

Thanks for this. It was really getting anoying the frequency at which he gives out quests. Right now he gives me a new quests every time I turn one in so there is never a point I don't have a quest. I'd prefer if the frequency of quests was turned way down or you had to talk to him to begin a quest. It feels like the only person doing absolutely anything in the minutemen is me.
RollMeOneKenobi Dec 4, 2015 @ 3:01pm 
if he tries to give you one just run away. that always worked for me.
Kalsu Dec 4, 2015 @ 3:28pm 
One trick i found was to not complete the first settlement quest he give you right before you get the option to recruit him That way you're free to explore the commonwealth at your pace without getting the annoying call/timed quest . Imo this quest line need some work on the forced aspect or at least give you a warning like when you chose hardcore on NV.
Alucard † Dec 4, 2015 @ 3:29pm 
no , they dont stop they are radiant quests to farm XP
< >
Showing 1-15 of 73 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Nov 17, 2015 @ 1:24pm