Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Plugin Author Jeremy Herve

(@jeherve)

Jetpack Mechanic 🚀

Do you happen to use a specific plugin to send out WordPress emails via a third-party email provider instead of your server’s? If so, could you check the plugin settings and make sure it doesn’t change some of the emails’ content type settings to force them to be sent via HTML?

Let me know how it goes.

Thread Starter Oleg Chuvakin

(@olegchuvakin)

Yes, I use the Postman plugin. No, it doesn’t change some of the emails’ content type settings. The JetPack 4.7.1 is very good, no problem.

Same issue here. I’m pushing my email through Gmail’s SMTP but HTML Tags are only shown through the contract form.

I’m having the same issue and other issues with the Jetpack Contact Form. It seems generally broken.

Using Postman plugin, contact form sends visible HTML in the email body. Email body looks like this:

<!doctype html>
    <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
    <body>

<b>Name:</b> Joe<br /><br /><b>Email:</b> myemail@gmail.com<br /><br /><b>Website:</b> <br /><br /><b>Comment:</b> Test<br /><br /><br /><hr />Time: April 12, 2017 at 4:22 am<br />IP Address: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx<br />Contact Form URL: http://www.mydomainname.com/contact-us/<br /><p>Sent by an unverified visitor to your site.</p>

</body>
    </html>

I was using the WP SMTP plugin before trying the Postman plugin. With the WP SMTP plugin, I could send test emails from the plugin but the contact form emails were not received via email. They are logged in Feedback but no setting would deliver them to an inbox.

I like the simplicity of the Jetpack contact form but this is a big issue. Will need to use another plugin if this can’t be fixed.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by Dmed. Reason: typo

I tried another WP SMTP plugin, Easy WP SMTP, and the contact form email no longer shows the HTML tags. Maybe this is an issue with how both Postman and WP SMTP integrate with JetPack contact forms?

I’m using https://en-gb.wordpress.org/plugins/gmail-smtp/

I don’t see html tags on test emails, just on ones sent through the contact form.

Unfortunately I’ve ramped up my dmarc settings for my domain so I can’t send emails using my domain through my webhost without more tinkering.

Plugin Contributor Lisa Schuyler

(@lschuyler)

I suspect the HTML formatting is coming from the other mail plugins you’ve each mentioned. Are you able to temporarily disable the other mailing plugins to see if you can replicate with only Jetpack installed, using your server’s default mail setup?

Let us know. Thanks!

@fiendishlyclever I don’t see the HTML tags on the test emails on any of the SMTP plugins. I only see the HTML tags from the Jetpack contact form when using the Postman. Using the WP SMTP plugin the contact form never delivered the emails. I disabled these and installed Easy WP SMTP which fixed both issues with the Jetpack contact form.

@lschuyler I tried reverting between Postman and WP SMTP several times and the HTML tags always showed in the contact form email with Postman and the email was never delivered with WP SMTP. Neither plugin provides any formatting options. I can only send via SMTP from my server so I can’t test without a plugin.

I’m thinking there is a bug or missing tag somewhere in the Jetpack contact form that breaks these plugins.

Hi, I have the exact same issue but the plugin I’m using is SendGrid.

No issues with the Password Reset email also.

Anything else I can provide to help with the troubleshooting?

(@lschuyler)

If you are willing to edit PHP files, we have a patch we’re working on to fix these HTML tags:

https://github.com/Automattic/jetpack/pull/7018

If you test it, please let us know if it solves the issue for you. Thanks!

Hi, I’m not much of a programmer but I would still like to help.

Will it be possible for me to just

deactivate the Jetpack plugin,
      rename the original file to something else,
      upload the new file as per the link you’ve provided,
      active the Jetpack plugin and
      do the test?

I have to ask first before I break anything that I don’t understand.

Thank you in advance.

I can confirm that the fix on GitHub resulted in correctly formatted emails from my contact form. Thanks for the resolution 🙂

(@lschuyler)

Thanks @fiendishlyclever !

Yes @rezdwanhamid, that should work fine! Make sure you have a full backup of your site just to be safe.

Hello, @lschuyler

I gave it a go and can confirm that the issue is fixed using the new file.

I have reverted to the original file and will wait for Jetpack to be updated.

Thank you, everyone.

(@lschuyler)

Thanks for testing @rezdwanhamid ! Appreciated.

The proposed change will be included in Jetpack’s next release.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • The topic ‘4.8.2: The Contact Form shows HTML tags’ is closed to new replies.