Home Forums Movies “Wicked” movie adaption

“Wicked” movie adaption

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 433 total)
Created
5 years ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
( +7 hidden )
replies
views
users
Jeffrey Kare
braydenfitzsi..
RIDLEY SCOTT
    Topics:

The long awaited movie adaption of the broadway phenomenon “Wicked” will be released on Dec 22, 2021. The film was previously slated for a Christmas Day 2019 release but was pulled for “Cats”.

Universal’s ‘Wicked’ To Stir Up Christmas Season 2021

Topics:

Lol two years. That’s quite a push.

“No user starts this shady” - someone culturally relevant.

Also got banned because...reasons? So, I guess ciao.

ReplyCopy URL
    Topics:

Here are some of my current casting ideas…

Elphaba:
    Samantha Barks
    Cynthia Erivo
    Daisy Ridley

Glinda:
    Lily James

Fiyero:
    Taron Egerton
    Ansel Elgort

Nessarose:
    Hailee Steinfeld

Boq:
    Tom Holland

Madame Morrible:
    Glenn Close
    Angela Lansbury
    Shirley MacLaine

The Wizard:
    Mark Hamill
    Kevin Kline
    John Lithgow

Doctor Dillamond:
    Ralph Fiennes
    Bill Nighy
    Gary Oldman
    Jonathan Pryce

ReplyCopy URL
    Topics:

I think most Broadway musicals were written just for the stage. Usually, if I have seen a musical on Broadway I end up not really enjoying the movie because it can never really transfer from stage to film in my opinion. Something about that live interaction. I’ve seen “Wicked” twice, so I doubt if I go see the movie unless it gets exceptionally raves.

Here’s hoping for a nice transfer from stage.

Don't talk next to me
    while I embrace the movie
    on the big screen, please.

ReplyCopy URL
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Topics:

I don’t see this movie being good unless they change it significantly from the stage musical. Take the Sweeney Todd and Chicago route, where you just pick one tone and follow that all the way through. The musical has a very jumbled mix of wacky comedy, gothic intensity, heightened melodrama, manufactured magic, and childish silliness. This all works well on the stage when the suspension of disbelief is already so high that wild changes in tone and style feel more organic and entertaining, but it very rarely works well in a movie and is often what brings down most musical adaptations. The stage and screen are totally different mediums and not enough filmmakers realize that and just attempt to present whatever the stage musical would look like if they had the technology of film.

With all that said, the people working on the screenplay are apparently the people who worked on the musical, so that doesn’t fill me with a ton of hope. And Stephen Daldry usually operates in a pretty grounded (at least visually) and stately mode, which means he either might be able to wrangle all this into one tone or he will try to do everything and will be completely unaccustomed to so many of these artistic styles. So who knows.

ReplyCopy URL
    Topics:

Some of the choices here are… interesting

https://www.mycast.io/stories/wicked-7

ReplyCopy URL
    Topics:

I’m really not on board with the idea of Lea Michele as Elphaba like a lot of other people are. She’s just not likeable and her acting is mediocre. As for the supporting characters, I’d be ok with these Hollywood names:

Anna Kendrick as Nessarose

Daniel Radcliffe as Boq

Zac Efron as Fiyero

Christine Baranski as Madam Morrible

Hugh Jackman as The Wizard

Ian McKellen as Doctor Dillamond

ReplyCopy URL
    Topics:

The long awaited movie adaption of the broadway phenomenon “Wicked” will be released on Dec 22, 2021. The film was previously slated for a Christmas Day 2019 release but was pulled for “Cats”.

https://deadline.com/2019/02/wicked-release-date-change-universal-1202552821/

So instead of 2020 (enough time to start now) they push it even further, 2 years later. So basically 3 years from now.

Seems like way way WAY too much.

ReplyCopy URL
    Topics:

My dream cast:
    Elphaba: Lea Michele

Glinda: Lily James

Fiyero: Taron Egerton or Daniel Radcliffe or Nick Jonas

Nessarose: Anna Kendrick

Boq: Tom Holland or Ansel Elgort

Madame Morrible: Carol Kane

The Wizard: Hugh Jackman

Doctor Dillamond: Patrick Stewart

ReplyCopy URL
    Topics:

I’m really not on board with the idea of Lea Michele as Elphaba like a lot of other people are. She’s just not likeable and her acting is mediocre. As for the supporting characters, I’d be ok with these Hollywood names:

Daniel Radcliffe as Boq

Zac Efron as Fiyero

Lea Michele right now doesn’t even appear to be as big of a commodity as she was in her Glee days. Anna Kendrick seems more like a Glinda to me. Isn’t Hugh Jackman a little too young for The Wizard?

ReplyCopy URL
    Topics:

Daniel Radcliffe as Boq

Zac Efron as Fiyero

Christine Baranski as Morrible is one of those lightbulb moments that I never realised perfect that is and how I want to see that until now.

ReplyCopy URL
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Topics:

Lea Michele right now doesn’t even appear to be as big of a commodity as she was in her Glee days. Anna Kendrick seems more like a Glinda to me. Isn’t Hugh Jackman a little too young for The Wizard?

If they go for a famous performer (or at least a recognisable name that works on the west coast) I think it should be someone older like Kevin Kline, Keith David or Ted Danson

ReplyCopy URL
    Topics:

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 433 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.