Home Forums Television Guest Acting 2024

Guest Acting 2024

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 137 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
braydenfitzsi..
Victor
    Topics:

Now that the predictions centre is open I thought it would be worth creating the annual thread to discuss these categories given we won’t have them in the centre until June. I usually create one for the writing and directing categories around this time every year as well but I thought given that we haven’t even got WGA nominations it would be best to hold off until then (if only wants to make one sooner they are more than free to).

TV FYC: Juno Temple ("Fargo"), Tony Shalhoub ("Mr. Monk's Last Case"), Rashida Jones ("Silo"), The Curse, Expats, The Gilded Age and Slow Horses in all categories.

Topics:

The Bear getting every single actor nominated

ReplyCopy URL
    Topics:

First predictions.

Guest Actor in a Comedy Series

1. Jon Bernthal, The Bear
    2. Will Poulter, The Bear
    3. Christopher McDonald, Hacks
    4. John Turturro, Mr. and Mrs. Smith
    5. John Mulaney, The Bear
    6. Robert Townsend, The Bear

7. Bob Odenkirk, The Bear
    8. Bruce Dern, Palm Royale
    9. Paul Dano, Mr. and Mrs. Smith
    10. Ron Perlman, Mr. and Mrs. Smith

Guest Actress in a Comedy Series

1. Jamie Lee Curtis, The Bear
    2. Olivia Colman, The Bear
    3. Jane Adams, Hacks
    4. D’Avine Joy Randolph, Only Murders in the Building
    5. Sharon Horgan, Mr. and Mrs. Smith
    6. Ayo Edebiri, Saturday Night Live

7. Michaela Coel, Mr. and Mrs. Smith
    8. Sarah Paulson, The Bear
    9. Sarah Paulson, Mr. and Mrs. Smith
    10. Gillian Jacobs, The Bear

Guest Actor in a Drama Series

1. Jonathan Pryce, Slow Horses
    2. Kyle MacLachlan, Fallout
    3. Michael Emerson, Fallout
    4. Walton Goggins, Justified : City Primeval
    5. James Cromwell, Sugar
    6. Dennis Boutsikaris, Sugar

7. Will Patton, Silo
    8. Tracy Letts, Winning Time
    9. Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Elsbeth
    10. Freddie Fox, Slow Horses

Guest Actress in a Drama Series

1. Claire Foy, The Crown
    2. Olivia Colman, The Crown
    3. Marcia Gay Harden, The Morning Show
    4. Lindsay Duncan, The Morning Show
    5. Olivia Williams, The Crown
    6. Natalie Morales, The Morning Show

7. Anna Gunn, Sugar
    8. Jane Krakowski, Elsbeth
    9. Regina Taylor, Justified : City Primeval
    10. Rashida Jones, Silo

TV FYC: Juno Temple ("Fargo"), Tony Shalhoub ("Mr. Monk's Last Case"), Rashida Jones ("Silo"), The Curse, Expats, The Gilded Age and Slow Horses in all categories.

ReplyCopy URL
    Topics:

We all know who should be winning Guest Actress Drama

It's all about the 3x Best Drama Series winner Succession!

ReplyCopy URL
    Topics:

Jones is probably my winner at this point and I’m rooting for Duncan to get that long overdue nomination but honestly I’d be fine with whomever wins guest actress as long as it’s not Olivia Colman. I never had the strong feelings against her performance in seasons 3 and 4 the way other people did and thought she was quite good in season 4 (even though I’d still not have awarded her over Moss, Rodriguez or Corrin) but I thought she was lowkey bad in her cameo in the finale which is something I’ve never felt about this woman’s acting in anything before. It’d especially be a shame if she won given that she would be a deserving winner in that very category this year for The Bear.

ReplyCopy URL
    Topics:

7. Bob Odenkirk, The Bear

Just out of curiosity, what’s prompting you to predict him getting snubbed?

ReplyCopy URL
    Topics:

It’d especially be a shame if she won given that she would be a deserving winner in that very category this year for The Bear.

She’ll never win over Claire Foy.

ReplyCopy URL
    Topics:

Ever since The Bear dropped, I’ve had a very very good feeling about Gillian Jacobs getting nominated. She feels just like Kaitlin Olson: a performer from a very popular iconic TV comedy ensemble who voters will leap to include now that she’s in something they’re going full force for. Her costar Yvette Nicole Brown leaping ahead to a surprise nod here in 2021 is another really good sign.

(Granted, I would’ve said the same thing about Alison Brie, but her snub is arguably one of the weirdest flukes in recent Emmy history, and it’s already been proven that The Bear is obviously much bigger with actors than GLOW.)

ReplyCopy URL
    Topics:

Just out of curiosity, what’s prompting you to predict him getting snubbed?

I wanted to make room for John Turturro because he feels like he could potentially be the Judith Light of this year (someone who is a perennially nominated, and in Turturro’s case has even won in this category in the past, with a meaty role and very classical guest performance in one of the breakout shows of the year). And then I’ve had Christopher McDonald in more or less as a default nominee given how he cracked a competitive lineup in 2022 and how they held on to almost all of the Ted Lasso guest acting nominees last year. I do appreciate though that Hacks is not as strong a show as Ted Lasso was and that with its year off and slight drop in support for season 2 it could be primed for more of a Maisel season 3 type haul than a White Lotus season 2 one.

Ultimately that left me with just four slots for five actors from The Bear. I think all of them can get in given just how unstoppable the show seems to be as a juggernaut (and even if it wasn’t we’ve seen cases of shows like SNL and The Last of Us getting four guest actors into categories they’ve been the runaway favourite to win in) and perhaps it might be the most logical way to go in my predictions at this stage. But seeing how competitive the comedy guest acting fields are becoming I can see a world where one of them just misses out by a hair on a restricted ballot because they all don’t end up appearing on the same ballots (although strangely enough I could see a five slot category actually helping the show get all the slots). Bernthal and Poulter both feel comfortably ahead of the pack and then Mulaney has been nominated before in this category and seemed to generate more chatter for his performance when the season aired. If I am to keep McDonald and Turturro in that then leaves one spot for either of Townsend or Odenkirk and whilst the latter is tempting almost as a Melanie Lynskey type of afterglow nod, I think last year showed that the guest acting categories are some of the most diverse at the Emmys and Townsend could capitalise from playing such a pivotal role in Edebiri’s arc this season (I also felt like there was a lot of enthusiasm about him being in it at the time even if he didn’t deliver a neccessarily buzzy performance). I also think that, whilst Odenkirk certainly did garner chatter for being in The Bear and had a lot of pre-hype for his role when he was announce to be in this season, there didn’t really feel like a lot of buzz around his performance on the other hand. Meanwhile if we’re to go back to the Lynskey comparison it’s fair to say there was a lot of discourse around her performance regardless of whether it was good or bad buzz. Obviously Odenkirk is a much familiar face to the Television Academy than Marisa Tomei but I suppose if there’s a precedent for a potentially snub for him it’s in for hers for The Handmaid’s Tale as a big name who didn’t really have that much of a big impact in a top tier series contender. Although of course The Handmaid’s Tale season 2 looks like What We Do in the Shadows season 5 compared to The Bear season 2 as a contender. I’m sure my final 5/6 will wind up being different from those I’ve just shared.

Ever since The Bear dropped, I’ve had a very very good feeling about Gillian Jacobs getting nominated. She feels just like Kaitlin Olson: a performer from a very popular iconic TV comedy ensemble who voters will leap to include now that she’s in something they’re going full force for. Her costar Yvette Nicole Brown leaping ahead to a surprise nod here in 2021 is another really good sign.

(Granted, I would’ve said the same thing about Alison Brie, but her snub is arguably one of the weirdest flukes in recent Emmy history, and it’s already been proven that The Bear is obviously much bigger with actors than GLOW.)

I think the fact that Sarah Paulson is going to be on the ballot for Mr. and Mrs. Smith and her character is directly tied to Richie could help her a lot.

ReplyCopy URL
    Topics:

Guest Actor in a Drama Series 2. Kyle MacLachlan, Fallout  

Omg we might finally get these three nominated in the same year (and across all fields!) 😭

ReplyCopy URL
    Topics:

Omg we might finally get these three nominated in the same year (and across all fields!) 😭

ReplyCopy URL
    Topics:

I’d like to bring up Andrea Martin for Only Murders in the Building again. She totally deserves the recognition.

ReplyCopy URL
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Topics:

if she won given that she would be a deserving winner in that very category this year for The Bear.

Respect your opinion but hell no. She was great in her part but it’s way too short and has no definitive impact as compared to the impact on the storyline that others like Gillian Jacobs have. Plus JLC has it locked up and sewn. She’s the biggest lock this emmy season.

ReplyCopy URL
    Topics:

GUEST ACTRESS IN A COMEDY SERIES

1. Jamie Lee Curtis  The Bear [LOCK]
    2. Gillian Jacobs, The Bear 
    3. Jane Adams, Hacks
    4. Ayo Edebiri, Saturday Night Live 
    5. Da’Vine Joy Randolph, Only Murders In The Building 
    6. Kaitlin Olson, Hacks

7. Sharon Horgan, Mr. and Mrs. Smith
    8. Olivia Colman, The Bear
    9. Sarah Paulson, The Bear
    10. Sarah Paulson, Mr. and Mrs Smith

GUEST ACTOR IN A COMEDY SERIES

1. Jon Bernthal, The Bear [LOCK]
    2. Will Poulter, The Bear 
    3. Bob Odenkirk, The Bear 
    4. John Mulaney, The Bear
    5. Christopher McDonald, Hacks
    6. John Turturro, Mr. and Mrs. Smith

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 137 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.