Home Forums Television Guest Acting 2024

Guest Acting 2024

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 137 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
braydenfitzsi..
Victor
    Topics:

I am torn between predicting Olsen or Paulson for comedy guest actress. I feel confident in the other picks though.

ReplyCopy URL
    Topics:

My guesses in no particular order but bolding my personal fav contender:
    Drama Guest Actor: NC (Shogun), JT (MRAMRSS), AS (MRAMRSS), ME (F), JTF (E), AM (E)
    Comedy Guest Actor: Ryan Gosling (SNL), Jon Bernthal (The Bear), John Mullaney (The Bear), Will Poulter (The Bear), Bob Odenkirk (The Bear), Tony Goldwyn (Hacks)
    Comedy Guest Actress: Jamie Lee Curtis (TB), Sarah Paulson (TB), Maya Rudolph (SNL), Kristen Wiig (SNL), Ayo Edebri (SNL), Kate McKinnon (SNL) (Alternate: Olsen for ‘Hacks’)
    Drama Guest Actress: Claire Foy (The Crown), Yuko Miyamoto (Shogun), Michaela Coel (Mr and Mrs Smith), Sarah Paulson (Mr and Mrs Smith), Sharon Horgan (Mr and Mrs Smith), Glenn Close (The New Look)

ReplyCopy URL
    Topics:

Good luck to everyone campaigning against JLC!

ReplyCopy URL
    Topics:

//platform.instagram.com/en_US/embeds.js

TV FYC: Juno Temple ("Fargo"), Tony Shalhoub ("Mr. Monk's Last Case"), Rashida Jones ("Silo"), The Curse, Expats, The Gilded Age and Slow Horses in all categories.

ReplyCopy URL
    Topics:

The only thing I heard about the ayo ep is the bit in response to her saying j lo is talentless

ReplyCopy URL
    Topics:

//platform.instagram.com/en_US/embeds.js

Colman outsold

It's all about the 3x Best Drama Series winner Succession!

ReplyCopy URL
    Topics:

Where’s Jane Adams in the prediction center she just had a great ep too

ReplyCopy URL
    Topics:

Comedy Guest feels weirdly easy ? Just Hacks and The Bear

Kaitlin Olson
    Jamie Lee Curtis
    Olivia Colman
    J. Smith Cameron
    Sarah Paulson
    Helen Hunt (“Had so much fun smacking you around yesterday”)

Jon Bernthal
    Bob Odenkirk
    John Mullaney
    Will Poulter
    Christopher Lloyd
    Christopher McDonald

I just know Maya Rudolph will get in though 🤦

ReplyCopy URL
    Topics:

Jamie Lee Curtis just got nominated in a supporting category at the Dorian Awards (LGBTQ+ critics, 500 voters). She’s so taking this come September.

BEST SUPPORTING TV PERFORMANCE—COMEDY

• Joel Kim Booster, Loot (Apple TV+)
    • Carol Burnett, Palm Royale (Apple TV+)
    • Hannah Einbinder, Hacks (Max)
    • Harvey Guillén, What We Do in the Shadows (FX)
    • Janelle James, Abbott Elementary (ABC)
    • Jamie Lee-Curtis, The Bear (FX/Hulu)
    • Sheryl Lee Ralph, Abbott Elementary (ABC)
    • Ebon Moss-Bachrach, The Bear (FX/Hulu)
    • Megan Stalter, Hacks (Max)
    • Meryl Streep, Only Murders in the Building (Hulu)

ReplyCopy URL
    Topics:

i guess i belong to the minority of people but in my opinion there was nothing special about the performances of sarah paulson and olivia coleman in the bear. they are just on a trending show which is popular at the moment and thats why they get the awards-attention. dont get me wrong both of them are great actresses and seem to be nice people. i dont wish them any ill – i just think that the acting should solely count without the popularity of the show they are on.

ReplyCopy URL
    Topics:

i guess i belong to the minority of people but in my opinion there was nothing special about the performances of sarah paulson

That’s me with her performance in Mr and Mrs Smith. Overrated af.

EGOT & Triple Crown of Acting winner, VIOLA DAVIS
    2-time Oscar winner, EMMA STONE
    Emmy & Tony winner, JODIE COMER
    Emmy & Olivier winner, SARAH SNOOK
    Berlinale winner & Emmy nominee, SEBASTIAN STAN

ReplyCopy URL
    Topics:

i guess i belong to the minority of people but in my opinion there was nothing special about the performances of sarah paulson and olivia coleman in the bear. they are just on a trending show which is popular at the moment and thats why they get the awards-attention. dont get me wrong both of them are great actresses and seem to be nice people. i dont wish them any ill – i just think that the acting should solely count without the popularity of the show they are on.

well, the evidence of recent years suggests voters don’t watch that many shows.

if there’s performances on shows they’ve never seen, they won’t vote for such.

ReplyCopy URL
    Topics:
    Apr 8th, 2023
    Topics:

I’m still drafting my rankings of the other categories so whilst I’m waiting I thought I’d do my quick unranked run-through of the guest categories.

Guest Actor in a Comedy Series

– Jon Bernthal, The Bear
    – Christopher Lloyd, Hacks
    – Christopher McDonald, Hacks
    – John Mulaney, The Bear
    – Bob Odenkirk, The Bear
    – Will Poulter, The Bear

Thoughts: Gosling is very tempting given that even as Emmy voters have been softer on Saturday Night Live this category has become a place where both passion pick hosts (see Carmichael) and hosts who have had a very big year (see Pascal) have been recognised. But I’m wagering that in spite of the removal of the unlimited ballot we’re going to see a similar situation to last year with The Last of Us and Succession where the two guest heavy series frontrunners (The Bear and Hacks) take over these categories. Aside from Bernthal I don’t really think any of the actors in this category are locked to get nominated although I’d say that I think Odenkirk and Lloyd are the ones I’m most hesitant about. I didn’t have the latter until Townsend didn’t wind up being submitted because whilst I appreciate he’s a well loved character actor with a traditional guest performance I’m not sure if that’s something that neccessarily gives him a leg up with this voting body as opposed to his overall show visibility. Initially I didn’t even have the former at all because in spite of being such a big name it felt like he had such little impact when it came to the overall Bear discourse.

Guest Actress in a Comedy Series

– Olivia Colman, The Bear
    – Jamie Lee Curtis, The Bear
    – Gillian Jacobs, The Bear
    – Kaitlin Olson, Hacks
    – D’Avine Joy Randolph, Only Murders in the Building
    – J. Smith-Cameron, Hacks

Thoughts: Similar thing here in terms of my expectations around The Bear and Hacks spamming the category with nominations due to their dominant position in the series race and Curtis being the only locked nominee (although I do think Olson should be able to sneak in provided they watched and liked this season given how she already managed to get in last time round). The only difference perhaps being that instead of going for four women from The Bear or three from Hacks I’ve gone with D’Avine Joy Randolph instead not neccessarily because of her Oscar buzz but more because this category is otherwise looking very white when the guest categories are amongst the most diverse at the Emmys and whilst all of its female guests were shut out last year Only Murders in the Building is still a show that has a history of getting some of the most adored character actors of the moment in these categories. I’m very uncomfortable leaving Rudolph and to a lesser extent Wiig out but I remembered when the former lost character voice-over two years ago to Chadwick Boseman (which perhaps shows that she’s not averse to missing out in the midst of strong competition) and I think voters will instead name-check the latter for Palm Royale in lead. Paulson and Jacobs is giving me strong Davis and Abbass energy from last year and finally I can see J. Smith-Cameron missing because of how much there was a sense that she was underwhelming stunt casting but at the same time I wouldn’t dare do such a thing given how much buzz there was and the fact that these are also the same people who gave Laurie Metcalf the win.

TV FYC: Juno Temple ("Fargo"), Tony Shalhoub ("Mr. Monk's Last Case"), Rashida Jones ("Silo"), The Curse, Expats, The Gilded Age and Slow Horses in all categories.

ReplyCopy URL
    Topics:

Guest Actor in a Drama Series

– Nestor Carbonell, Shōgun
    – Michael Emerson, Fallout
    – Wagner Moura, Mr. and Mrs. Smith
    – Jonathan Pryce, Slow Horses
    – John Turturro, Mr. and Mrs. Smith

Thoughts: This is such a thin category that the only other people I’m really considering here are Maclachlan on a good day for Fallout and Perlman on a good day for Mr. and Mrs. Smith. Turturro should be able to take advantage of his status as a perennial Emmy nominee and having the meatieat role of the guests on his show the way that Light did even if he doesn’t ultimately win and given how much of an advantage Shōgun has over this field as a whole in visibility (in addition to the visibility he has from The Morning Show) Carbonell should also be in. Emerson could be hurt by the fact that the actors have been moving more and more away from the genre shows but he’s someone who already has an established Emmy record and we’ve seen in how they embraced the likes of The Falcon and the Winter Soldier and The Mandalorian in weaker guest fields. I quite possibly may be overestimating Moura’s currency but at the same time he’s someone with a lot of visibility right now and this category is otherwise not looking very diverse. Pryce is the risky one here because there’s a chance now that Slow Horses could be only an Oldman play at this point and it’s not hard to see his performance failing to command enough passion. At the same time given the state of the field he just feels like the closest thing to an heir to the Cephas Jones and Cromwell veteran slot (with a performance of a very similar acting style to the latter). A shame neither Neil Patrick Harris nor Freddie Fox were on the ballot in the end.

Guest Actress in a Drama Series

– Michaela Coel, Mr. and Mrs. Smith
    – Claire Foy, The Crown
    – Marcia Gay Harden, The Morning Show
    – Yuko Miyamoto, Shōgun
    – Sarah Paulson, Mr. and Mrs. Smith

Thoughts: I wouldn’t be shocked if Mr. and Mrs. Smith just as easily as I wouldn’t be surprised if it got zero. I do think at least one woman of colour will be getting in here (which bodes well for Coel given her advantageous ballot placement, name recognition and the goodwill still swirling around her after I May Destroy You). I still am worried that Miyamoto could go the way that Anthony Head did for Ted Lasso‘s first season where in spite of the barrenness of the overall field and the show being poised for a sweep she misses because there are still other widely seen contenders who are easier name-checks. Foy won in 2021 but missed last year and Harden was nominated last time round but in a field where Martha Kelly was nominated for Euphoria. Paulson has missed for similarly positioned performances in shows in the past that have to rely on voters having watched the whole thing (and then feeling passionate about them) to get in but at the same time I am expecting with these lack of options that a lot of them will have and thus will have seen the big episode of Mr. and Mrs. Smith she’s in and recognise her. Jones and Krakowski are tempting to mull about considering the episodes of their shows were watched (even if they weren’t neccessarily by a broad amount of Emmy voters) and their performances were well received and both performers are fairly well liked. But not to predict.

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 137 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.