Official Neil Young Thread

1147148149150151153»

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 41,382
    It seems unfair that Pearl Jam (who were among the first to cancel their tour back in 2020) and Neil Young (who put off touring until long after others had resumed) are dealing with health issues.

It sucks, for sure.  I see your post as being empathic with both the ailing band members and those fan who had shows cancelled.  But in some other threads, it seems to me more people are talking about their own disappointment and less about wishing the band members well.  Am I missing something there?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,484
    Funny Brian. 
    Mostly an 'I, me, me, mine' culture.

See both sides for sure. The highs music brings us has and equally devastating low when you get hit over the head with a cancelation. Will level out when people stop investing so much for a show. 
    I'd be mad if I drove 30 minutes all ready to rock and got a cancelation.
    Understand it all. Complicated but Def health should be #1. 

Who knows.

Love your neighbor. Hell I can get sick and miss a couple days of work. Just doesn't let down a gigantic fan base. 

My 2+ cents
  • CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,645
    It’s tough both ways. So glad I just got to see Neil here in Atlanta for my first time. Would have been bummed if he canceled, but it’s his health, so would totally understand. Want him and the band to healthy!

Had my Las Vegas ‘22 PJ show canceled just days before I flew out. It was a super bummer because it had been since 2018 since I’d seen them. On the other hand, I went ahead with the trip and had a super amazing vacation. Bummed during the couple hours I walked the strip when it would have been show time, but I made up for it with sightseeing and day trips to national parks in Utah. Try to travel to a place that would be fun as well.

In the end, I just want the band to be healthy and alive! They don’t make these decisions lightly (there’s so much merch, their crew, poster artists, and more that depend on the show), the band is losing quite bit I’m sure when they cancel.

Positive thoughts to all those performers that are sick and recovering (and fans too!).
    edited July 8
    Loujoe said:
    Funny Brian. 
    Mostly an 'I, me, me, mine' culture.

See both sides for sure. The highs music brings us has and equally devastating low when you get hit over the head with a cancelation. Will level out when people stop investing so much for a show. 
    I'd be mad if I drove 30 minutes all ready to rock and got a cancelation.
    Understand it all. Complicated but Def health should be #1. 

Who knows.

Love your neighbor. Hell I can get sick and miss a couple days of work. Just doesn't let down a gigantic fan base. 

My 2+ cents

Haha, you and me both, my friend.  I've never missed a couple of days of work and then read about it on the internet.  Awwwww shucks!   :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,880
    If you are not allowing an art director to want his design to spread out over a gatefold, than why not go all the way and ask for the disc to just be released in a white inner with a sticker on it with the album title and artist.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    If you are not allowing an art director to want his design to spread out over a gatefold, than why not go all the way and ask for the disc to just be released in a white inner with a sticker on it with the album title and artist.

Really?  I would so much rather have a single disc album in a single jacket with a cool cover photo, and some great liner notes on the back.  Just right off the top of my head, for example:

Primary

Secondary 2 of 5

Now THAT is a cool album cover with minimal packaging!

edited July 11
    brianlux said:

Really?  I would so much rather have a single disc album in a single jacket with a cool cover photo, and some great liner notes on the back.  Just right off the top of my head, for example:

Primary

Secondary 2 of 5

Not minimal enough if you wanna save the environment.

If you really care about the environment, I say the idea of just a white inner sleeve with the name and album title printed on or as a sticker (one color) is much better. Or have one of those with a big hole on it and save the extra printing/sticker and have all relevant info on the disc-label. One disc label should be enough to cover the whole album, saving one label per album. If you don't need an Art Directors decision to marry the album with a great black and white photo spreading over a full gatefold, then I'm pretty sure you do not need guys between statues or blocks of text on there either.

If we're being sensible here. :)

What I hate the most with LP packaging by the way, is pointless big booklets that they in reality do not have any content to fill it with. I understand you want to up the margin of the product and writing out that a booklet is included, but you could have had that info on a 12inch sheet. gigaton.

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    brianlux said:

Primary

Secondary 2 of 5

If you really care about the environment, I say the idea of just a white inner sleeve with the name and album title printed on or as a sticker (one color) is much better. Or have one of those with a big hole on it and save the extra printing/sticker and have all relevant info on the disc-label. One disc label should be enough to cover the whole album, saving one label per album. If you don't need an Art Directors decision to marry the album with a great black and white photo spreading over a full gatefold, then I'm pretty sure you do not need guys between statues or blocks of text on there either.

What I hate the most with LP packaging by the way, is pointless big booklets that they in reality do not have any content to fill it with. I understand you want to up the margin of the product and writing out that a booklet is included, but you could have had that info on a 12inch sheet. gigaton.

If we REALLY were to be gentle on the environment, we would not but records, tapes, CDs, or even stream music (that takes energy and resources as well), but, rather, would beat sticks on hollow logs and yodel, lol. 

But much as I love Neil Young, I'm holding him accountable because NY and Crazy Horse and Pearl Jam are two of the most egregious bands when it comes to using huge amounts of resources for their albums.  Just look at PJ's No Code or Neil's World Record.  Yikes!  And these are two of the most outspoken "environmentalist" bands?  The irony is overwhelming.

Now, I will admit I have purchased some of these records.  But I buy used records when I can find them, I don't travel, I haven't flown in a plane since sometime in the late 1980s and, most importantly, I didn't have kids.  So I'm more "green" than most people I know.

I really wish Neil would back off on all that packaging!

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,531
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Primary

Secondary 2 of 5

If we REALLY were to be gentle on the environment, we would not but records, tapes, CDs, or even stream music (that takes energy and resources as well), but, rather, would beat sticks on hollow logs and yodel, lol. 

So, Yoko Ono?
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Poncier said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Primary

Secondary 2 of 5

So, Yoko Ono?

I love how Yoko challenges me to like what feels to me the unlikable.  I like that.  Does that mean I like here music?
    Well...  :lol:

Still one of the best and best sounding records I've ever heard.

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,167
    personal pet peeve, nothing more annoying when craft brewers lift others IP for their cans.

Yes, I know an IP(A) joke is in there somewhere.

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,414
    personal pet peeve, nothing more annoying when craft brewers lift others IP for their cans.

It’s the ‘Rust Never Sleeps’ lyric in the ‘Harvest’-esque font that is bugging me.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:

It’s the ‘Rust Never Sleeps’ lyric in the ‘Harvest’-esque font that is bugging me.

No kidding!  Mixed up plagiarized beer.  Gag! 

edited July 16

Not disagreeing. But what is difference from
    poster designers doing it?
    It’s not. 
    Not sure if a 1-word answer to a question counts as an ‘update’, but at least it’s keeping the conversation going…

(Tim Rogers)
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,689
    pjl44 said:

Besides Neil, I hope Billy, Ralph, and Micah are doing OK. Anybody heard anything lately?

• Bob Mayo on the keyboards Bob Bob Mayo on the keyboards Bob Carmel, IN Posts: 556
    edited July 25
    Archive III is being announced tomorrow, preorders available on greedy hand- The deluxe box set includes a total of 22 discs with 17 CD’s in 11 soft-paks and 5 Blu-Rays in 3 soft-paks. good heavens that’s a lot to digest. (Ordered it anyway though!)
    1996-09.22; 1998-06.14,07.02,07.13,07.14,08.17,08.18; 2000-08.18,08.20,10.11,10.27,10.28; 2003-04.23,04.26,06.18,06.19,06.22; 2004-10.02,10.03,10.05; 2006-05.16,05.17,05.19,05.20,06.23,06.24; 2007-08.05; 2009-08.23,08.24,09.28,10.31; 2010-05.06,05.07; 2011-09.03,09.04; 2013-07.19; 2014-10.01; 2016-04.26,08.20,08.22; 2018-08.18, 08.20; 2022-09.17; 2023-09.05, 09.07; 2024-TBD! 
    Archive III is being announced tomorrow, preorders available on greedy hand- The deluxe box set includes a total of 22 discs with 17 CD’s in 11 soft-paks and 5 Blu-Rays in 3 soft-paks. good heavens that’s a lot to digest. (Ordered it anyway though!)

Yeow!  And that's all "Lucky Thirteen" era stuff, right?

(Tim Rogers)
    'Bright Sunny Day', from Disc 10

https://youtu.be/LrHSw542QkY?si=zXMzms8mTFfl54ud

(Tim Rogers)
    brianlux said:

As you can see, there's a lot of material in this box. The problem for me is that so much of it is already available on other albums (Neil did say he'd try to limit that...), and there's a lot of the 80s stuff I know I'll only listen to once or twice before it gathers dust on the shelf.

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    brianlux said:

As you can see, there's a lot of material in this box. The problem for me is that so much of it is already available on other albums (Neil did say he'd try to limit that...), and there's a lot of the 80s stuff I know I'll only listen to once or twice before it gathers dust on the shelf.

Wow, yes, a lot more than just the 80's years stuff.  I agree, there's just too much here and definitely too many dust collectors for me as well. 

• jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,449
    If all of this is on the NYA to stream, I’ll work my way through it. I’m sure there’ll be a few gems, but that’s a lot.