Biden vs Trump 2020 - vote now and discuss!

Comments

• pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,691
    I'm sitting this one out
    tbergs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    New Marist poll.  This is considered an A+ poll by 538.  Great summary and worth the quick read.  Only downside is that it's national,  and with the election being so tight, it's less useful.  But it does have really good information about how the candidates are perceived 

https://maristpoll.marist.edu/polls/contest-for-president-still-up-for-grabs/
    The hypocrisy of those polled around mental acuity between the candidates is ridiculous. I get the concern for Biden, but to see Trump poll higher on mental acuity is stupid. Speaking nonsense loud and at length doesn't equate to acuity. He's never been able to provide any type of substance or critical thinking and it's even got worse the last 4 years, but ok, perception is reality I guess. 
    People are all but screaming at the top of their lungs that they're uncomfortable with a plainly senile man in that position and there's a flavor of Democrat who for whatever reason are refusing to listen
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,033
    Biden
    pjl44 said:
    tbergs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    New Marist poll.  This is considered an A+ poll by 538.  Great summary and worth the quick read.  Only downside is that it's national,  and with the election being so tight, it's less useful.  But it does have really good information about how the candidates are perceived 

The hypocrisy of those polled around mental acuity between the candidates is ridiculous. I get the concern for Biden, but to see Trump poll higher on mental acuity is stupid. Speaking nonsense loud and at length doesn't equate to acuity. He's never been able to provide any type of substance or critical thinking and it's even got worse the last 4 years, but ok, perception is reality I guess. 
    People are all but screaming at the top of their lungs that they're uncomfortable with a plainly senile man in that position and there's a flavor of Democrat who for whatever reason are refusing to listen
    Biden is not "plainly senile." A plainly senile man could not extemporaneously answer complicated questions about foreign and domestic policy cogently and substantively for nearly an hour.

I'm not a Democrat, but all these Democrats publicly-- or, worse, anonymously-- wringing their hands and/or maligning Biden are playing right into Trump's hands, because they're not talking about what an incoherent menace Trump is, and they're giving people permission to pile on and/or sit out the election. And people in polls who indicate that they think that Biden's mental acuity is less sharp than Trump's make me question their own mental acuity. Never underestimate the obliviousness of the American voter. I saw a 19-year-old woman quoted last week as saying she supports Trump because she blames Biden for increased restrictions on abortion and doesn't think Biden supports women's rights. How little attention does a person need to pay to know that Democrats are the party favoring greater access to abortion and Republicans are the party seeking to restrict access to abortion? I'm not making a value judgment as to which party is right or which is the best policy. It's just a basic fact of American political life, and there are apparently voters who don't grasp it.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,058
    Biden
    BF25394 said:
    pjl44 said:
    tbergs said:
    mrussel1 said:

Biden is not "plainly senile." A plainly senile man could not extemporaneously answer complicated questions about foreign and domestic policy cogently and substantively for nearly an hour.

I'm not a Democrat, but all these Democrats publicly-- or, worse, anonymously-- wringing their hands and/or maligning Biden are playing right into Trump's hands, because they're not talking about what an incoherent menace Trump is, and they're giving people permission to pile on and/or sit out the election. And people in polls who indicate that they think that Biden's mental acuity is less sharp than Trump's make me question their own mental acuity. Never underestimate the obliviousness of the American voter. I saw a 19-year-old woman quoted last week as saying she supports Trump because she blames Biden for increased restrictions on abortion and doesn't think Biden supports women's rights. How little attention does a person need to pay to know that Democrats are the party favoring greater access to abortion and Republicans are the party seeking to restrict access to abortion? I'm not making a value judgment as to which party is right or which is the best policy. It's just a basic fact of American political life, and there are apparently voters who don't grasp it.
    It's a tough line to walk.  Yes you're right about the orange menace, but at the same time I expect more out of my leaders than to not be a criminal like Trump.  And I think the pressure from the party to drop out is right and appropriate.  We should put the best candidate up becuase that person will need to be president for four years, not just win an election.  And I no longer believe it is Biden.  
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,357
    BF25394 said:
    Biden seemed pretty sharp during his presser just now. 
    Indeed. The only thing I would have liked to see was for him to have replied to the last question, about his misspeaking and saying "Vice President Trump" instead of "Vice President Harris," by saying: "Are you fucking serious? Do you seriously believe that I can't tell the difference between Kamala Harris and Donald Trump? Are you that stupid or lazy to even dignify that idiotic criticism? Do you remember when Barack Obama misspoke and said that he'd been to 57 states? No person could have believed in good faith that Barack Obama didn't know how many states there are, and yet Republicans tried to make that a thing. Get a life. I just stood up here and answered pointed questions about foreign and domestic policy more cogently and sanely than Donald Trump could ever dream of doing, and you want to talk about me misspeaking and saying 'Vice President Trump.' Go fuck yourselves. Now I'm going to get back to doing my job."
    this is exactly what drives me bonkers about the media. Biden clearly can run circles around trump with regards to policy, and people keep focusing on these stupid "gaffes". everyone misspeaks. Biden included. He always has. It was a running joke he himself made calling himself a gaffe machine. all trump can muster is "we're doing incredible things" while handling his invisible accordion. 
    Once you look and sound like Biden has recently and especially in the debate you lose all benefit of the doubt. You say gaffe, I say the dude is not ok. 

Speaking about foreign policy is his sweet spot as is some of the basic economic stuff.. Long term memory can phase in and out with the elderly. I had older family members with clear cognitive issues, but had weeks where  they talk about historical stuff like you’d never believe, like what’re they ate dinner, what they had and who they were with in 1955 when mantle hit three homers against the tigers. There’s a lot of economic and foreign policy that is embedded in there thankfully for Biden.

Yes Biden will misspeak and yes we all do that, but what is missing is his ability to think quick on his feet and respond rapidly for shifting topics and points, especially in a debate.

So we have a candidate who can give a decent presser, but will keep on filling up the embarrassing social M videos that target the low information late deciders, who usually get to decide the elections. It’s also very possible and gets tired as the campaign drags on and has a terrible near disqualifying moment.

And we have a candidate who really can not debate, while trump is decent at it, because he is not tied to the truth . Far from ideal.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,902
    edited July 12
    Biden
    Didnt want this to slip by without notice.

Giuliani's bankruptcy case has been dismissed as it was seen as a means to shield him from adjudicated judgments and blocking litigation from proceeding in the smartmatic. and dominion cases......
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 37,488
    mickeyrat said:
    Didnt want this to slip by without notice.

Giuliani's bankruptcy case has been dismissed as it was seen as a means to shield him from adjudicated judgments and blocking litigation from proceeding in the smartmatic. and dominion cases......
    From ‘Murica’s mayor to ‘’Murica’s scum bag. Poor baby.

In dismissing the case, Lane cited the potential challenges of trying to recoup fees Giuliani says he is owed by Trump and the RNC, describing the investigation and potential recovery as “complex matters with uncertain outcomes.”

In court documents, Giuliani has listed roughly $153 million in debts to at least 20 people and businesses, including Moss and Freeman. A list of top creditors filed in February said Giuliani owes more than $3.7 million in unpaid legal fees to three law firms — though he is disputing some of those bills — and more than $1 million in state and federal taxes.

The former mayor and federal prosecutor has claimed about $11 million in assets — including an estimated $5.6 million New York apartment and a Palm Beach, Fla., condo he has valued at $3.5 million. While Giuliani has put his New York property on the market, he has so far successfully resisted selling his Florida home, with one of his lawyers claiming the sale could render the former mayor “homeless.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2024/07/12/rudy-giuliani-bankruptcy/

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    Biden
    BF25394 said:
    Indeed. The only thing I would have liked to see was for him to have replied to the last question, about his misspeaking and saying "Vice President Trump" instead of "Vice President Harris," by saying: "Are you fucking serious? Do you seriously believe that I can't tell the difference between Kamala Harris and Donald Trump? Are you that stupid or lazy to even dignify that idiotic criticism? Do you remember when Barack Obama misspoke and said that he'd been to 57 states? No person could have believed in good faith that Barack Obama didn't know how many states there are, and yet Republicans tried to make that a thing. Get a life. I just stood up here and answered pointed questions about foreign and domestic policy more cogently and sanely than Donald Trump could ever dream of doing, and you want to talk about me misspeaking and saying 'Vice President Trump.' Go fuck yourselves. Now I'm going to get back to doing my job."
    this is exactly what drives me bonkers about the media. Biden clearly can run circles around trump with regards to policy, and people keep focusing on these stupid "gaffes". everyone misspeaks. Biden included. He always has. It was a running joke he himself made calling himself a gaffe machine. all trump can muster is "we're doing incredible things" while handling his invisible accordion. 
    Once you look and sound like Biden has recently and especially in the debate you lose all benefit of the doubt. You say gaffe, I say the dude is not ok. 

Speaking about foreign policy is his sweet spot as is some of the basic economic stuff.. Long term memory can phase in and out with the elderly. I had older family members with clear cognitive issues, but had weeks where  they talk about historical stuff like you’d never believe, like what’re they ate dinner, what they had and who they were with in 1955 when mantle hit three homers against the tigers. There’s a lot of economic and foreign policy that is embedded in there thankfully for Biden.

Yes Biden will misspeak and yes we all do that, but what is missing is his ability to think quick on his feet and respond rapidly for shifting topics and points, especially in a debate.

So we have a candidate who can give a decent presser, but will keep on filling up the embarrassing social M videos that target the low information late deciders, who usually get to decide the elections. It’s also very possible and gets tired as the campaign drags on and has a terrible near disqualifying moment.

And we have a candidate who really can not debate, while trump is decent at it, because he is not tied to the truth . Far from ideal.
    Long-term memory? He wasn't opining on the Suez Crisis or the Lockerbie bombing. He was speaking about current events in Gaza, Ukraine, the rest of Europe and Asia, as well as domestic economic issues.

I take the point that there is a perception problem among voters, according to some polls, but that is a different question than whether Biden can think on his feet. He was clearly thinking on his feet in that press conference.
    Biden
    mrussel1 said:
    BF25394 said:
    pjl44 said:
    tbergs said:
    mrussel1 said:

It's a tough line to walk.  Yes you're right about the orange menace, but at the same time I expect more out of my leaders than to not be a criminal like Trump.  And I think the pressure from the party to drop out is right and appropriate.  We should put the best candidate up becuase that person will need to be president for four years, not just win an election.  And I no longer believe it is Biden.  
    But it's not as if "the best candidate" to replace Biden is readily apparent. It would likely be Harris by default if he stepped aside, and it's not clear at all that she would perform better than he would. She might, but it's impossible to say. And the pressure from "the party" is not really from the party, it's from a subset of elected officials and donors within the party. Democratic voters are the party, and they have already voted for him in every state's primary or caucus.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,058
    Biden
    BF25394 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    BF25394 said:
    pjl44 said:
    tbergs said:
    mrussel1 said:

But it's not as if "the best candidate" to replace Biden is readily apparent. It would likely be Harris by default if he stepped aside, and it's not clear at all that she would perform better than he would. She might, but it's impossible to say. And the pressure from "the party" is not really from the party, it's from a subset of elected officials and donors within the party. Democratic voters are the party, and they have already voted for him in every state's primary or caucus.
    It's not a great argument that the people already voted for him.  There was no competition.  And the elected officials are really important.  I'm highly concerned about him dragging down- ballot candidates with him.  
    No I don't know that Harris or Newsome would do better.  I can't make such a statement.  But I do believe that Harris or Newsome would be more effective at prosecuting the Democratic case for our policies. As an example, in the debate I think Biden did a terrible job attacking Trump on abortion.  His argument about states rights is absurd and easily dismantled.  He didn't do it.  That was very distressing to me.  He has to be able to carry the message in an influential manner, otherwise all candidates will suffer. 
  • cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,645
    BF25394 said:
    This is hilarious.  Hope you’re writing them down.  You should send it to Colbert.  
    Biden
    mrussel1 said:
    BF25394 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    BF25394 said:
    pjl44 said:
    tbergs said:
    mrussel1 said:

It's not a great argument that the people already voted for him.  There was no competition.  And the elected officials are really important.  I'm highly concerned about him dragging down- ballot candidates with him.  
    No I don't know that Harris or Newsome would do better.  I can't make such a statement.  But I do believe that Harris or Newsome would be more effective at prosecuting the Democratic case for our policies. As an example, in the debate I think Biden did a terrible job attacking Trump on abortion.  His argument about states rights is absurd and easily dismantled.  He didn't do it.  That was very distressing to me.  He has to be able to carry the message in an influential manner, otherwise all candidates will suffer. 
    You'll get no argument from me that he did a terrible job in the debate, but there's a difference between "can't" and "didn't." The fact that he botched the abortion argument in the debate does not mean that he will not or cannot make the argument forcefully between now and November. He just made a blistering case against Trump today. Yes, it was a scripted speech, but that's what both candidates are going to be doing from here on out, with the possible exception of one debate in September when I would expect Biden to be much better than he was on June 27.

With respect to there being no competition in the Democratic primary, there were other candidates on the ballot. Including "uncommitted" votes in states that allow that, those other options totaled about 13 percent of the vote. Meanwhile, nearly 24 percent of Republican primary voters did not vote for Trump.
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,787

• pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,691
    I'm sitting this one out
    BF25394 said:
    pjl44 said:
    tbergs said:
    mrussel1 said:

• sheckyshecky San Francisco Posts: 1,774

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,772
    shecky said:

2nd A rules for everyone no? 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,772
    I’m hoping Biden will come out and make statement against this kind of violence!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,192
    I’m hoping Biden will come out and make statement against this kind of violence!
    No doubt he will. But will probably be after Trump’s condition is confirmed as well as more details of the event. I wouldn’t expect anything for a few hours.
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,597
    Biden
    mace1229 said:
    No doubt he will. But will probably be after Trump’s condition is confirmed as well as more details of the event. I wouldn’t expect anything for a few hours.
    you really don't think a sitting president will come out and make a statement denouncing political violence? he has to. it is presidenting 101.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,192
    edited July 14
    mace1229 said:
    you really don't think a sitting president will come out and make a statement denouncing political violence? he has to. it is presidenting 101.
    Yes, I said no doubt he will.
    You probably read it as “no, doubt he will.” 
    edited July 14
    Biden
    biden already sent out a press release condemning it.

part of it reads "There's no place for this kind of violence in America. We must unite as one nation to condemn it."
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,443
    Biden
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Already did.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    Biden
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    You probably read it as “no, doubt he will.” 
    yeah that's how i read it. i apologize. i read it as "i doubt he will". sorry.

• jimjam1982jimjam1982 AZ Posts: 1,350
    Trump

part of it reads "There's no place for this kind of violence in America. We must unite as one nation to condemn it."
    His handlers sent out the presser. He mumbled some shit about ice cream and zelensky or putin he's not sure 

• jimjam1982jimjam1982 AZ Posts: 1,350
    Trump
    shecky said:

Trumps more composed after an assassination attempt then Joey with a full team of handlers and no pressure. America sees this to be truth. 
    Biden

His handlers sent out the presser. He mumbled some shit about ice cream and zelensky or putin he's not sure 

really.