extreme dissapointment at the ticket prices, Baltimore

hokieheadhokiehead Posts: 4
edited February 23 in The Porch
Imagine my excitement when, finally, PJ was coming back to Baltimore, and my children were finally at an age that I felt comfortable taking them.

I have been a fan and followed this band since day 1. No joke - I saw Pearl Jam do a small record store jam in Rockville, MD back in 1990 (I think it was) when they were marketing 10. I was SO looking forward to sharing this band the experience of seeing them live with my children. Bringing my own life full circle in a sense.

When I got the email that they were coming to town I was SO stoked! I registered with TM right away. Imagine my excitement when I got the email and text that i was selected for the pre-sale!! I got right in at 9:45a. 15 minutes before the sale opened like the email suggested to. I waited in the queue. 1800 some people in front of me. Eventually, I WAS NEXT!!!!!!

I was so excited for myself and my family. What an experience this was going to be for my kids.

Well, it didn't happen.  I was floored that the CHEAPEST tickets are about $600. I nearly cried as I realized this would not be happening for me. No way I can shell out almost $3000 for a single concert. 

And to be honest, I just don't understand. I paid far less ( less then $200 a ticket) for good seats recently for equally legendary acts (Iron Maiden, Metallica, GnR, Smashing Pumpkins) Why are these tickets so expensive?? It's heart breaking.

We speak so much of equity in the country these days, yet, we price the less fortunate out of experiences like this; Maintaining the haves vs the have nots. In the end I guess greed and capatialism always ends up winning. 

Thanks for the memories PJ. My hats off to those young dudes I saw in Rockville 30+ years ago and many times along the way. I guess it's just not the same anymore.

Post edited by hokiehead on
Tagged:

Comments

• RynomanRynoman Posts: 5
    Sorry to hear. I've also seen Metallica, GnR, and Smashing Pumpkins in the last year with ticket prices being much less than PJ prices. Foo Fighters was less too. Not sure why they have it priced so high. I'm pumped to take my kids to see PJ for the 1st time too. I got nose bleeds in Missoula for $120 each after fees. That still seems high for nose bleeds to me, but I have to see them with the kids at least once and the prices were nothing like you were seeing.
  • CT98115CT98115 Posts: 7
    Got great Seattle ticket for $190 total through TM.
  • My first thought after reading these two replies was that maybe it’s just DC area pricing. Everything is crazy expensive. But then I remember the other bands that were much more reasonable. Maybe it’s demand pricing and costs will come down over time?? Right nosebleeds in Baltimore are $500+ face value.
  • AlaGAlaG Brookline, MA Posts: 886
    The face value tickets were all about $180. Those all got nabbed basically immediately. The reason you're seeing and having outrage over the $600 ticket is because like you nobody wants to pay that price for it.
  • SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,673
    hokiehead said:
    My first thought after reading these two replies was that maybe it’s just DC area pricing. Everything is crazy expensive. But then I remember the other bands that were much more reasonable. Maybe it’s demand pricing and costs will come down over time?? Right nosebleeds in Baltimore are $500+ face value.
    Prices will come down. There's a face-value ticket exchange that will be available soon. There may be additional tickets released closer to the show for face value 
  • spankyMPspankyMP NY to NC to NH Posts: 1,447
    SHZA said:
    hokiehead said:
    My first thought after reading these two replies was that maybe it’s just DC area pricing. Everything is crazy expensive. But then I remember the other bands that were much more reasonable. Maybe it’s demand pricing and costs will come down over time?? Right nosebleeds in Baltimore are $500+ face value.
    Prices will come down. There's a face-value ticket exchange that will be available soon. There may be additional tickets released closer to the show for face value 
    This!
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • rett1448rett1448 Posts: 32
    ticketmaster verified fan presale tix are $903 minimum @ msg
    how is that even possible 
    i guess it just verifies fans will be ripped off …. 
    30 yrs later ….. 
    stay safe 
  • iwasatpj20iwasatpj20 Rockford, IL Posts: 3,355
    spankyMP said:
    SHZA said:
    hokiehead said:
    This!

Fans just need to be patient.  For a show in 2023, I got a single standard priced ticket two months after the show was announced.
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2007 - Chicago, IL Lollapalooza
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO
    2011 - East Troy, WI 1 & 2 (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2012 - Atlanta, GA, Missoula, MT
    2013 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), Dallas, TX, Oklahoma City, OK
    2014 - St. Louis, MO, Tulsa, OK, Moline, IL (No Code, IL), Saint Paul, MN, Milwaukee, WI (Yield, WI)
    2016 - Greenville, SC (Vs, SC), Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, Boston, MA (Fenway Park 1), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)
    2018 - Seattle, WA (Safeco Field 2), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2), Boston, MA (Fenway Park 2)
    2020 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, ??
    2022 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV
    2023 - St. Paul, MN 2, Fort Worth, TX 2, Austin, TX 1, and Austin, TX 2
    2024 - Portland, OR and Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)

2012 - Temple of the Dog East Troy, WI (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2014 - Soundgarden Tinley Park, IL (with Nine Inch Nails)
    2014 - Alice in Chains Davenport, IA
    2016 - Chris Cornell Solo Madison, WI and Peoria, IL (official hometown show)
    2016 - Temple of the Dog San Francisco, CA (both shows)
    2017 - Soundgarden Dallas (cancelled) RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 - Smashing Pumpkins Chicago, IL (first show)
    2019 - Alice in Chains Milwaukee, WI
    2022 - Jerry Cantrell Chicago, IL
    2023 - Jerry Cantrell Milwaukee, WI

RIP Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, and Chris Cornell

RIP Mom (may your star shine the brightest in the sky, our family loves and misses you very much, we'll meet again)

• rett1448rett1448 Posts: 32
    def go fan 2 fan and def show up for merch u may just meet a friend that has an xtra 
    =) also closer to the dates things will change 
    im already planning on doing all the above to any show on the east coast lmaoooo
    PJ2024!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • spankyMPspankyMP NY to NC to NH Posts: 1,447
    Yes, don't buy any of these tickets. They will sit and prices will drop. That's why they should have been 10C seats :(
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • GatmanGatman Posts: 7
    Rynoman said:
    Sorry to hear. I've also seen Metallica, GnR, and Smashing Pumpkins in the last year with ticket prices being much less than PJ prices. Foo Fighters was less too. Not sure why they have it priced so high. I'm pumped to take my kids to see PJ for the 1st time too. I got nose bleeds in Missoula for $120 each after fees. That still seems high for nose bleeds to me, but I have to see them with the kids at least once and the prices were nothing like you were seeing.
    lol! I don’t think you will bleed to death. Nose bleeds at Griz stadium aren’t like nose bleeds at Fenway park.
  • kosteva2kosteva2 Posts: 288
    hokiehead said:
    Imagine my excitement when, finally, PJ was coming back to Baltimore, and my children were finally at an age that I felt comfortable taking them.

I have been a fan and followed this band since day 1. No joke - I saw Pearl Jam do a small record store jam in Rockville, MD back in 1990 (I think it was) when they were marketing 10. I was SO looking forward to sharing this band the experience of seeing them live with my children. Bringing my own life full circle in a sense.

When I got the email that they were coming to town I was SO stoked! I registered with TM right away. Imagine my excitement when I got the email and text that i was selected for the pre-sale!! I got right in at 9:45a. 15 minutes before the sale opened like the email suggested to. I waited in the queue. 1800 some people in front of me. Eventually, I WAS NEXT!!!!!!

I was so excited for myself and my family. What an experience this was going to be for my kids.

Well, it didn't happen.  I was floored that the CHEAPEST tickets are about $600. I nearly cried as I realized this would not be happening for me. No way I can shell out almost $3000 for a single concert. 

And to be honest, I just don't understand. I paid far less ( less then $200 a ticket) for good seats recently for equally legendary acts (Iron Maiden, Metallica, GnR, Smashing Pumpkins) Why are these tickets so expensive?? It's heart breaking.

We speak so much of equity in the country these days, yet, we price the less fortunate out of experiences like this; Maintaining the haves vs the have nots. In the end I guess greed and capatialism always ends up winning. 

Thanks for the memories PJ. My hats off to those young dudes I saw in Rockville 30+ years ago and many times along the way. I guess it's just not the same anymore.

Tried to DM you but private and wouldn't let me.  
    My family ended up w/ extra lower level 10C Baltimore tickets.  My kids joined 10C at same time so actually got seats together the way they allocated them.
    Once the Fan2Fan thing opens might be able to try to do a coordinated drop/pickup to get them in your hands at face value.  
    DM me if interested.
    TFC '97, TFC '98, Pittsburgh '98, Camden I,II '98, Camden I,II '00, Pittsburgh '00, Philly '03, Camden I,II '03, MSG I,II '03, Hershey '03, Reading '04, Philly '05, Camden I,II '06, Meadowlands I '06, Camden I,II '08, DC '08, Spectrum I,II,III,IV '09, Made in America '12, Philly I,II '13, GCF '15, Philly I,II '16, MSG I '16, Apollo ‘22, MSG ‘22, Camden ‘22
  • livefreelivefree Norwood, CO Posts: 25
    Yup, after reflection all day (after we bailed on tickets to only one Vegas show -- we had put in for two, plus Missoula, but were only "registered" for the one Vegas show that would have cost us nearly $1200 -- I can only conclude that greed has taken over. We're not necessarily blaming the band or the individual band members. They are truly artists and professionals; tops in their field; passionate about their craft; revolutionaries in the truest sense of the word. But is the band even aware that this gouging is going on? I think they'd be appalled. In this day and age of inequity -- social, economic, political, environmental -- this ticketing fiasco has really left my wife and me with an incredible bad taste in our mouths. We're so disappointed. We can't afford these exorbitant prices! The average fan is being priced out this go-round. It's been an incredible ride with this band, and we've experienced so many amazing shows with PJ. The memories are so rich. Our lives have been enriched by all the music. But we'll be sitting this one out. Sad.
  • I paid $402.20 total for two great seats for Baltimore.  This isn’t really the band’s fault.  Like someone else said those seats were still available for a reason as that wasn’t the normal price.
  • pbultimatepbultimate Posts: 588
    Wait till the poster is $55
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,033
    People will complain, but no one really needs a poster. Posters, license plates, basketballs, vinyl records: if you're buying this stuff, you apparently can afford it just fine. 

Sure, no one "needs" to go to a show either, but the value proposition of the show versus a piece of merch seems self-evident to me.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • GatmanGatman Posts: 7
    Wait till you have to win lottery to get in line and buy $55 dollar poster.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,775
    I don’t get it you didn’t try for tickets with your membership through 10C? Only with TM sale? 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • SoybeansSoybeans Posts: 248
    I don’t get it you didn’t try for tickets with your membership through 10C? Only with TM sale? 
    dis·il·lu·sioned
    adjective
    disappointed in someone or something that one discovers to be less good than one had believed.

Let's face it. We live in upside down world. 
    90 shows and counting...some of my favs: Randall's Island night 2, Milwaukee '95 night 2, Hawaii '06, St Johns '05, PJ20!
  • Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,762
    I sell liquor and everyone complains when a bottle of booze goes up a nickle. It’s life. I’m not gonna say that life choices are a problem but $200 is still made one night serving tables. I skipped all shows because none are local and would have  cost me 3x the ticket price to go. If I was 25 no problem but I have a mortgage….and so do they and we underpaid them years in my opinion 
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,772
    So you weren't in the fan club?
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
    edited February 24
    I sell liquor and everyone complains when a bottle of booze goes up a nickle. It’s life. I’m not gonna say that life choices are a problem but $200 is still made one night serving tables. I skipped all shows because none are local and would have  cost me 3x the ticket price to go. If I was 25 no problem but I have a mortgage….and so do they and we underpaid them years in my opinion 
    The problem is not only the $200, it's dynamic pricing pushing prices way higher than this. The system severely limits access to "regularly priced" tickets. Further, many of the arenas that management has chosen for the tour are selling the best seats to their sports season ticket holders, who then resell them on stubhub
    Post edited by Soybeans on
    90 shows and counting...some of my favs: Randall's Island night 2, Milwaukee '95 night 2, Hawaii '06, St Johns '05, PJ20!
  • All this really just makes me miss the days of buying tickets in person at a kiosk. Feeling cool or like you had some insider knowledge because you knew about the tm kiosk at that store in the mall that no one else knew about it. Camping out and getting lit with other fans. Sometimes, you’d even get super crazy lucky and a member of the band would show up and do a meet and greet to those standing in line. Met JBJ that way in 1988. Long before any of this bot or dynamic pricing garbage
  • PD279656PD279656 Posts: 119
    Really enjoying all these long winded post by people on the board with less than 5 posts. This board has now become one giant creative writing class. 

Thank God none of you know how the ticket process works! It's why getting tickets on fan to fan has been so easy! 
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,775
    hokiehead said:
    All this really just makes me miss the days of buying tickets in person at a kiosk. Feeling cool or like you had some insider knowledge because you knew about the tm kiosk at that store in the mall that no one else knew about it. Camping out and getting lit with other fans. Sometimes, you’d even get super crazy lucky and a member of the band would show up and do a meet and greet to those standing in line. Met JBJ that way in 1988. Long before any of this bot or dynamic pricing garbage
    Sorry to ask but did you not try for tickets with your membership from 10C? The sale you tried was directly from TM not 10C 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,673
    PD279656 said:
    Really enjoying all these long winded post by people on the board with less than 5 posts. This board has now become one giant creative writing class. 

Thank God none of you know how the ticket process works! It's why getting tickets on fan to fan has been so easy! 
    Bingo
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,455
    Do people go to concerts and understand the concept of platinum tickets? sigh.   90% were sold at face value under $200 and sold out.   If there weren't platinum tickets, they'd of sold out, and you'd probably of seen zero tickets available.
    PD279656 said:

No personal attacks please. Those that don't post often are relevant. 
  • PD279656 said:

I suppose I don’t understand. But I’d appreciate it if you came from a place of kindness, patience, and a willingness to explain
  • smile6680smile6680 Posts: 370
    I agree. I actually like new opinions/perspectives.