Ohms, Watts, Amps and Speakers...

Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,576
edited May 14 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey all,  

So I just got a Marantz 2240B amp, mostly in good condition, needs some updates with the lights and perhaps some cleaning. 

The amp itself has 40 watts per channel, with Speaker Impedance 4-16 ohms. 

My current speakers came from my Onkyo desktop and I just plugged those in to test the amp out.  The specs on those are 20 watts, Impedance 6 Ohms. 

I am sort of new to putting together vintage stuff so, just to make sure I understand this all correctly, the impedance on the speakers is fine, but since the speakers are only 20 Watts, I should get a pair of speakers that are at least 40 watts, correct?   I did a bit of googling, and I am getting mixed results on if the watts on the speaker should/could be more than the amp.  

So, basically I need to get speakers that can handle at LEAST 40 watts or even more?  Or should they be matched perfectly? (like, 20 watts is too small, but 80 would work?)

AS for Ohms, I think the 6 is fine, but what sound would be optimal?  4 Ohms?

Turn this anger into
Nuclear fission
Post edited by Vedd Hedd on

Comments

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,818
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Hey all,  

So I just got a Marantz 2240B amp, mostly in good condition, needs some updates with the lights and perhaps some cleaning. 

My current speakers came from my Onkyo desktop and I just plugged those in to test the amp out.  The specs on those are 20 watts, Impedance 6 Ohms. 

I am sort of new to putting together vintage stuff so, just to make sure I understand this all correctly, the impedance on the speakers is fine, but since the speakers are only 20 Watts, I should get a pair of speakers that are at least 40 watts, correct?   I did a bit of googling, and I am getting mixed results on if the watts on the speaker should/could be more than the amp.  

So, basically I need to get speakers that can handle at LEAST 40 watts or even more?  Or should they be matched perfectly? (like, 20 watts is too small, but 80 would work?)

You are in for a rabbit hole discussion with this, lol.

The lower the impedance number, the more power can be outputted from an amplifier before overloading it. Therefore, low-impedance (4-8 ohms) speakers need powerful amps with high wattage levels.

High-impedance (8-16 ohms) speakers are easier on their respective amps since they aren't as demanding. However, they have lower sensitivity ratings than low-impedance models (i.e., less loud).

• Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,576
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Hey all,  

The lower the impedance number, the more power can be outputted from an amplifier before overloading it. Therefore, low-impedance (4-8 ohms) speakers need powerful amps with high wattage levels.

High-impedance (8-16 ohms) speakers are easier on their respective amps since they aren't as demanding. However, they have lower sensitivity ratings than low-impedance models (i.e., less loud).

Yeah, that is kind of what I figured.  I have a Marantz 2240B, and I just bought some Klipsch RP 500-M II speakers.  As stated, the Marantz is 40 watts per channel, and the speakers are 8ohms. So far, so good.  Sound is really warm and clear.  Nice highs.  I will probably upgrade on the speakers at some point, but these seemed like a good mid-range setup. 
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,818
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Hey all,  

Yeah, that is kind of what I figured.  I have a Marantz 2240B, and I just bought some Klipsch RP 500-M II speakers.  As stated, the Marantz is 40 watts per channel, and the speakers are 8ohms. So far, so good.  Sound is really warm and clear.  Nice highs.  I will probably upgrade on the speakers at some point, but these seemed like a good mid-range setup. 
    You should be able to push anything w that Marantz!