Anyone else not have that FOMO feeling anymore while this band is on the DM tour?

BigReddBigRedd Posts: 96
I used to have it all the time when they went on tour with shows I was not going to. This year it is gone and I am not sure why. I think LV N1 is the only show that on paper I wish I was at that I did not attend. But even then I am not kicking myself for not being there. Barcelona looked like a couple of fun nights. But they just cancelled 3 shows. I really thought they would have thrown in some songs rarely played especially on N2 but they played it pretty safe. I am sure saving Eds voice for the festivals had a play in the setlists but still. 

I am not saying the band does not sound great. In fact they sound the best I have ever heard them play. I am not saying that the sets are not good. They are if you are going to one or two shows. Just that for me at least something has changed. Maybe its the DM heavy sets and in the same spot with less and less of a chance at a lesser played song making its way on the set. I am not sure. Anyone else feeling the same? 

Comments

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,792
    I wish they played more DM. I'm going to be bummed if I don't hear all of the songs over all of my shows.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,643
    On the last tour I tried to find people live streaming shows on FB, so I could watch them. This year I haven't, but it could also be the shows on the West Coast start late for me and getting up for work the next day at 4:30 in the morning sucks if you have been up until 1 watching a concert. The Fall shows will start earlier for me, so I might try to check them out. 
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,401
    I seem to have also lost it this tour. I usually look at every setlist and find a song where ok that song would make that trip worth it to me, and now I cant seem to find many at all. I did both Vegas shows and will be doing 8 on the fall leg.

I will also be disappointed if I don't hear the songs I've not heard yet from Dark Matter.

That whole Vegas trip was worth it for the Luke Bryant solo Ed song, just wow. 
    RS65573 said:
    I seem to have also lost it this tour. I usually look at every setlist and find a song where ok that song would make that trip worth it to me, and now I cant seem to find many at all. I did both Vegas shows and will be doing 8 on the fall leg.

I will also be disappointed if I don't hear the songs I've not heard yet from Dark Matter.

you mean Isbell?

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    Ya sorry, not a country guy.
    RS65573 said:
    Ya sorry, not a country guy.
    lol...Isbell is a great musician and songwriter. Luke Bryan is just a moron. 

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,115
    RS65573 said:

I felt the same way with going to Seattle. If I saw the setlists of all the May shows before hand I would have chose Seattle for 2 songs and happy I was actually there for them.  Hearing Hurt and Little Wing made both nights for me. 
    Its something about the setlists that is not the same, IDK what it is. Its not the length for me, I'm fine with how long they are, its maybe too formulaic?

I've seen every Pearl Jam song at this point, I'm more looking for something they never do, so I guess I'm also hard to please. But in Chicago last year we got Street fighting man, just wow, it seems there's always a get, but I cant find one in Europe this year.
  • spankyMPspankyMP NY to NC to NH Posts: 1,447
    I kind of lost it in 2022. I had moved out of the Northeast a while back and really couldn't travel for shows, so options became limited. Then back to back shows near me were cancelled in 2016 (bathrooms) and 2020 (COVID). When 2022 came around I forgot how much it meant to me and for a couple of reasons, I turned down an MSG 2022 ticket. Things changed last year and I remembered how much I needed live music, specifically PJ, so I travelled with some friends and we'll be meeting up in Baltimore this year. I went to LA1 with some family and will be doing Fenway 2 as well. Got to see them while we can, this won't last forever. It can't just be about getting that one White Whale song.
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • BigReddBigRedd Posts: 96
    RS65573 said:
    Its something about the setlists that is not the same, IDK what it is. Its not the length for me, I'm fine with how long they are, its maybe too formulaic?

I've seen every Pearl Jam song at this point, I'm more looking for something they never do, so I guess I'm also hard to please. But in Chicago last year we got Street fighting man, just wow, it seems there's always a get, but I cant find one in Europe this year.
    I think removing the first encore has a lot to do with this. 
    I agree spanky, life hits in waves sometimes. Ive gone since 94, ill go til I literally can not.

I still feel blessed to have been at every show I've attended.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,825
    I'm only going to 2 shows whereas in the past I would have done the 6 in my area.  It was a fun ride.
  • GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,611
    It's been financially and mentally freeing. This year I picked one destination (Seattle x2 shows) and actually enjoyed the city and surrounding area during my trip.
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024: Seattle 1&2,

• pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,691
    RS65573 said:
    This is it for me along with the ticket price. I only got drawn for one Fenway show. I'll go to the other one if I can get a good ticket with little effort but would not grind it out like I have in the past. Any show outside of a 2 hour radius from Boston is also out at this point.
  • tschavtschav Posts: 2,815
    I'm doing more than I typically would do, but this time around not stressing about lining up early for rail, posters, etc. Granted, my tour stops are paced out (Vegas N1 + N2, Chicago 1, Ohana). That being said, I can see how doing multiple cities in a row would be less appealing than in the past, especially if the DM tracks are making the setlist a bit more predictable and an opener taking time away from the hope of a longer set one night.

Glad to see they're switching up the format, but will be interesting to see if there's any real difference between the smallest arena stop (Vegas), a baseball stadium "home" show, and EV's fest on a beach.
  • GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,611
    I should also mention that the two biggest factors in reducing my number of shows are:
    1. Ticket prices
    2. Uncommon songs have become rare, and rare songs have become near impossibilities to see.
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024: Seattle 1&2,

• drfoxdrfox Posts: 1,261
    Anyone sitting on the fence should just book tickets. Was disappointed with Manchester but just returned from two great shows in Barcelona. They sounded fantastic. 
  • iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,647
    I’ve seen a lot fewer shows than many on here and I’m seeing maybe one or two songs on a setlist tops that I haven’t seen before. Do they need to play all the hits over a two night run? The 2023 shows were a nice variety with the 24-25 song format but they played a lot less Gigaton than this tour with DM so not a lot of wiggle room. Still, 1/2 full or Habit shouldn’t be the lone songs (on paper) that sets a pair of shows apart from other cities. So far for bang for your buck, two shows and you’ve seen 95% of the DM tour. Maybe that’s their intention for the majority of fans now, I don’t know. 

and Yes I’m grateful the band is still touring and sounds good, especially Ed most nights. 
  • seanwonseanwon Posts: 329
    Not quite as excited as I typically am, but still excited since I haven't seen them since 2018.  I think as someone mentioned, we don't need ALL the hits in a 2 stop stint in one city.  And we definitely don't need Scared of Fear, React Respond, Wreckage, Dark Matter and Upper Hand in the same slots, same order (mostly) for both shows.  Take a break on some of those and mix in Won't Tell and Got to Give every other night. They are great songs, rarely played.
    1996: 9/29 Randall's Island 2,  10/1 Buffalo                  2000: 8/27 Saratoga Springs
    2003: 4/29 Albany,  5/2 Buffalo,  7/9 MSG 2                   2006: 5/12 Albany,  6/3 East Rutherford 2
    2008: 6/27 Hartford                 2009: 10/27 Philadelphia 1              2010: 5/15 Hartford,   5/21 MSG 2
    2013: 10/15 Worcester 1,  10/25 Hartford                       2014: 10/1 Cincinnati
    2016: 5/2 MSG 2,   8/5 Fenway 1,  11/7 Temple of the Dog MSG
    2018: 9/2 Fenway 1
    2020: 3/30 MSG             2022: 9/11 MSG            2023: 9/10 Noblesville
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,607
    I slowed down some time ago. Honestly I have been kind of bored with all the Ten songs for some time (except maybe Release as an opener). There was a time when I would hit 6 or 7 shows for an east coast run. Not anymore. It has nothing to do with the cost of the tickets or time off from work. The sets have become a bit formulaic with a lot of Ten, small town, daughter, corduroy, better man etc. with zero Binaural or Riot Act and not much from No Code or Yield. I have been spoiled by this band. I do like when they play new stuff, even if I do not love the songs. At least it is new and different. Of course, then they come out and do a show like Camden and I keep coming back.
  • withflyingcolorswithflyingcolors CO Posts: 480
    I wish they played more DM. I'm going to be bummed if I don't hear all of the songs over all of my shows.
    Me too. I have one more chance to hear Won't Tell (Missoula) and I will be bummed to miss it. 

I moved out of the Northeast a few years ago and where I live now is not as convenient. Traveling has gotten more expensive overall so as much as I would never miss Fenway (or Wrigley really) I'm going to have to this year. 
    Me too. I have one more chance to hear Won't Tell (Missoula) and I will be bummed to miss it. 

I moved out of the Northeast a few years ago and where I live now is not as convenient. Traveling has gotten more expensive overall so as much as I would never miss Fenway (or Wrigley really) I'm going to have to this year. 
    I really don't get why Won't Tell and Got to Give don't get played more. 

• drfoxdrfox Posts: 1,261

I really don't get why Won't Tell and Got to Give don't get played more. 
    Would have been the only thing I would have changed from the 3 Euro arena shows. Really wanted to hear Won’t Tell
  • benlw86benlw86 Posts: 69
    I have heavy FOMO. Largely by missing out on London. More so than ever actually. I think I have a deep passion for pretty much every son from Ten through to Binaural, and I have perceived PJ in the 2010s-2020s as just being wonderful to see, but expecting a gradual tail off of albums. 

Dark Matter came. It's my favourite album by anyone of the past 15 years. Nothing would give me more FOMO than if they played the whole of Dark Matter all the way through.

My expectaction is that in the next tour (which will not be an alubm tour) all those wanting rarities will get more rarities. Unfortunately it might mean I never get to see Got To Give. I desperately hope Scared of Fear, Wreckage, Upper Hand, Waiting for Stevie, Setting Sun become 'hits' that stay in rotation. But I'm worried they'll fall away like Binaural songs did.
  • benlw86benlw86 Posts: 69
    drfox said:
    Anyone sitting on the fence should just book tickets. Was disappointed with Manchester but just returned from two great shows in Barcelona. They sounded fantastic. 
    I really wish I could go to Madrid or Lisbon, but I have been away for work 2-3 times this month and I can't justify to myself leaving my 2-year old for a trip to a gig. I prefer to put Wreckage on loud and dance with him. I will have to wait till next time (in a perfect world, PJ are still around in 5-6 years and I take him).
  • GW2553GW2553 AMORICA Posts: 73
    It's the baseball stadiums for me.  Absolutely zero FOMO when it comes to those shows.  Nope not traveling to a baseball stadium and that goes for any artist not just PJ.

• BigReddBigRedd Posts: 96
    GW2553 said:
    It's the baseball stadiums for me.  Absolutely zero FOMO when it comes to those shows.  Nope not traveling to a baseball stadium and that goes for any artist not just PJ.

It used to be the opposite for me but after Fenway in 2018 I had my fill. Wont be doing any of those this year. 

That said though.

Wrigley 13 + N2 2016
    Fenway N2 2016
    Wrigley N2 2016  
    Seattle N2 2018 

All of these shows where next level.  
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,691
    edited July 9
    There have been great shows (Camden 2022 and a couple from USA Tour 2023 most notably) since Covid, but I dont think we have had a true FOMO show since before 2020

Shows I can drive to and Saturday night shows is my new PJ model.  No more taking vacation days to spend time traveling unless I have another purpose (Vegas this year for me, turned it into a family trip.)  The Sphere in 2025 could bring us our first post-covid FOMO shows due to venue more than setlist, though.
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,488
    Had to Google fomo. I'm good and glad for those that still get their minds blown. Maybe someday I'll get back in on the action. ❤️ 
  • BlueLedbetterBlueLedbetter Posts: 1,272
    Having now had London x 2, Vienna and Prague cancelled in the last few years in future I'll only be travelling to cities I've never or rarely visited so to see a new place as well as the show. So Berlin for example doubt I'll go again and before this Berlin would have been a FOMO show