Best NYC Airport for Public Transportation to MSG?

What's the best airport to fly into for easy and safe public transportation into the city and close to MSG? Looking at different flights between Newark, JFG, and LGA.

Comments

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,116
    Newark is easy.  Take the train directly to msg.  I think it’s two stops away.  (Secaucus then msg). 

No clue about the other two.   
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • tusevuntusevun Posts: 226
    Newark 100% assuming all the flights are relatively the same $
  • RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,666
    Newark 
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • UmphreysJam34UmphreysJam34 Posts: 800
    Thanks everyone, looks like that is the cheaper flight too. You all made it very easy, thanks!
  • blairs1blairs1 Ontario, Canada Posts: 205
    I was told LGA but didn’t realize people suggested Newark. I’m staying near MSG. will have to look into Newark as an option. 
  • Sugarloafer04Sugarloafer04 Telluride CO // Brooklyn NY Posts: 352
    depending on what time your flight lands, Newark is NOT the best option. It is also not the most straightforward one. I will generally avoid Newark at all costs, if you miss the public transportation or end up having to take an uber, expect $100+ to get close to MSG, and given the time of day, tunnel traffic. 

JFK is my 100% go to and is the cheapest. Airtrain plus subway is like $11. Airtrain to the A train. Sit on the A train to Penn Station. Insanely easy and just as fast as any sort of Newark transportation. Subways come every 10 minutes, there is no transferring or schlepping your stuff. LGA is in a bit of no mans land, you could take a bus to a train but it isn't ideal, and an uber to MSG area will easily run 50-75$ if not more and depending on the time of day, you get to deal with traffic. 
    2016: Telluride, CO
    2018: Fenway night 1
    2021: Sea.Hear.Now
    2022: San Diego, MSG, Camden 
    2023: Ft. Worth 1, Ft. Worth 2, Austin 1, Austin 2
    2024: Las Vegas 1, Las Vegas 2
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,777
    Fuck Newark I’d have to go with La guardia since it’s been remodeled it’s an easy airport!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    Fuck Newark I’d have to go with La guardia since it’s been remodeled it’s an easy airport!
    How do you get from La guardia to Penn? Lirr?
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,382
    mcgruff10 said:
    How do you get from La guardia to Penn? Lirr?
    You can take an express bus to various subways that go to Penn Station, or you can take a bus to the LIRR. 
  • HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 4,732
    JFK. AirTrain to Jamaica. LIRR from Jamaica straight to Penn Station. 
    Newark has multiple options but it’s Jersey and it’s annoying. Weird shuttle to the NJ Transit Station and then into NYC Penn Station.
    LGA has a bus that takes forever to get to Midtown, this is the worst option. 

FYI there are two Penn stations. One in Newark, and the one you want in Manhattan. 
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,936
    All 3 of those airports suck.  I'd vote Newark but agree that time of arrival is a consideration 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,382
    I have tried public transportation for all three in the past, and now just spring for a taxi or Uber. So much easier. Or for Newark I often use Carmel car service. 
  • SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,673
    edited July 13
    I'd say LGA and EWR are about the same (JFK isn't really an option from STL). The LaGuardia link bus to the subway is free and probably takes about as long as the airtrain at Newark to get to NJ Transit. I'd pick LaGuardia every time. Better flight options and lounges 
    Post edited by SHZA on
  • yosiyosi NYC Posts: 2,834
    All 3 of those airports suck.  I'd vote Newark but agree that time of arrival is a consideration 
    LGA is actually a great airport since renovated. As someone mentioned earlier, express bus from LGA is super easy. 

If going to JFK, air train to subway or LIRR is super easy. 

Newark is terrible and not that close to NYC. 
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,936
    yosi said:
    LGA is actually a great airport since renovated. As someone mentioned earlier, express bus from LGA is super easy. 

If going to JFK, air train to subway or LIRR is super easy. 

Newark is terrible and not that close to NYC. 
    Yeah, I've flown out of all 3 recently.  I cannot speak to the transit from, recently, since I've lived in Jersey for the last 12 years and used to utilize when flying in and out before.
    As someone who flies every other week at this point, I don't like any of them.  Newark is where I choose generally when I have to utilize one of the three,but that is because I am coming from NJ.  I do think it sucks, inside.  Big time.

i hate newark so much, I prefer philly.  
    mcgruff10 said:
    i hate newark so much, I prefer philly.  
    On a plane from Philly right now.  Fly from Philly whenever possible.  
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,607
    Newark has multiple options but it’s Jersey and it’s annoying. Weird shuttle to the NJ Transit Station and then into NYC Penn Station.

FYI there are two Penn stations. One in Newark, and the one you want in Manhattan. 

This. The "express" buses from all three airports are the cheapest option into midtown but they are less than comfortable and you will hit bad traffic. It still amazes me that NYC airports do not have direct train service to the city from the airports like they do in England (Heathrow express), Japan (Narita express) and Hong Kong. And watch out for fake Uber drivers. They are all over LGA and JFK. 
    Get_Right said:

This. The "express" buses from all three airports are the cheapest option into midtown but they are less than comfortable and you will hit bad traffic. It still amazes me that NYC airports do not have direct train service to the city from the airports like they do in England (Heathrow express), Japan (Narita express) and Hong Kong. And watch out for fake Uber drivers. They are all over LGA and JFK. 
    The M60 to the UWS from LGA is often very quick. No it doesn’t get you to midtown, but yes it gets you into a VERY residential neighborhood in Manhattan, easily accessible to Midtown. 

The from JFK goes to midtown…

• ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,103
    I took the Airport Express round-trip between Newark and 41st St (One block from Grand Central Terminal) last year and all four rides were smooth and the bus ran on schedule each time. It was very convenient and comfortable. Make sure to get on at 41st Street and do not get on any of the other stops (42nd street, and Port Authority especially) to Newark. The line at Port Authority was very long and not everybody there was able to get on the bus and had to wait for the next bus.

I can't speak to the Penn Station experience. But getting to/from GCT and JFK was a whole big rigamarole involving a very long walk underground from GCT to the new LIRR station, going down a very long escalator, and multiple transfers (the Air Train was undergoing renovations so I had to take two Air Trains). So, my Newark experiences were much better.
    ceska said:
    I took the Airport Express round-trip between Newark and 41st St (One block from Grand Central Terminal) last year and all four rides were smooth and the bus ran on schedule each time. It was very convenient and comfortable. Make sure to get on at 41st Street and do not get on any of the other stops (42nd street, and Port Authority especially) to Newark. The line at Port Authority was very long and not everybody there was able to get on the bus and had to wait for the next bus.

I can't speak to the Penn Station experience. But getting to/from GCT and JFK was a whole big rigamarole involving a very long walk underground from GCT to the new LIRR station, going down a very long escalator, and multiple transfers (the Air Train was undergoing renovations so I had to take two Air Trains). So, my Newark experiences were much better.

That works ok in the middle of the day, 7-9 am or 4-6 pm and you will hit bad rush hour traffic. Leaving from 41st ST to the airport is better than leaving from Newark inbound to NYC as the lines can be long. Try to pre-book it.
  • BlueLedbetterBlueLedbetter Posts: 1,272
    Will be doing JFK to midtown in September, subway the best bet then?

The subway does not reach JFK. See posts above.
    Get_Right said:

Yeah sorry I know it connects to the air train

Never used the lirr is that or the subway better option after the air train?
    Get_Right said:

Yeah sorry I know it connects to the air train

Never used the lirr is that or the subway better option after the air train?
    For getting to midtown the LIRR is probably your best bet, otherwise the subway is probably better. 

Thanks so basically either is fine
  • RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,666
    Sorry but it doesn’t get any easier than the train from Newark that literally lets you out at MSG.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023