Bladder / Ureter Cancer

Options
capeguy7
capeguy7 Member Posts: 2 Member
edited July 3 in Bladder Cancer #1

I am posting this under Bladder Cancer but I have Ureter Cancer. Diagnosed 5/29/2024 with Ureter Cancer.

70 yrs male—mass found in left ureter—Had Kidney and Ureter robotically removed (but had to be switch to open surgery lasting almost 7 hrs.) 6/13/24. Had complications and in ICU for the day after surgery. Hospital for 5 days.

I have no path report yet.

In 2017 I had Breast Cancer so I kind of know what's ahead. That being said—I am full of fear.

Comments

• lepew721
    lepew721 Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

I’m so sorry you’re going through this!! One good thing like you said you know what’s ahead!
    I was diagnosed with bladder cancer in march. This s is my first time battling cancer personally. A lot of women in my family has or is battling it right now! I’m scared too! I’m along with my oncologist are fighting with my insurance to allow things I need done or scanned! So now it’s a different scan before I start my chemo then have my surgery to remove my bladder and my left kidney ! Are you going chemo as well? Have you had any surgery on yours yet? They scraped it off my bladder but it has moved into my bladder muscle!
    Oh hey btw, my name is Valerie. I apologize I’m just now introducing myself! lol my brain don’t seem to work right anymore… lol I’ll be thinking of you and sending lots of prayers all goes well with you and the doctor gets all your cancer! Hope we can chat again soon! 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

• capeguy7
    capeguy7 Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Hi. I'm Wess. Thanks for sending your message. I had my left kidney and ureter removed 7 days ago. I don't know the stage or grade yet so I'm not sure what will be next. My brain is not working right either. Hope we can chat more.

• barehead
    barehead Member Posts: 40 Member
    Options

Wess and Valerie,

Welcome to the club that no one wants to be a member of. I had two occurrences of bladder cancer since 2003. The last one in 2020 was a year long battle. After it was found climbing up my right ureter, I had to donate my bladder, prostate, and 21 lymph nodes, but after post-surgical chemo, I have been NED since. The first thing I would suggest is to visit bcan.org for top notch curated medical info on bladder and urothelial cancer. There are plenty of support resources there, and there are also survivor volunteers with whom you can be connected. The volunteers (and I am one) try to take the mystery out of the journey and can discuss some of the things in front of you that the providers may not touch upon. Removal surgery is hard stuff but is one of the best deterrents to recurrence.

Wess, the first week at home is the toughest since you are dealing with the surgical plumbing changes. However, after two weeks, I started feeling a little better each day, and by six weeks was feeling good. Then chemo started, and that was 3 months of unpleasantness. But survivors do what they gotta do.

Remember, you can do this.

• avaschmidt
    avaschmidt Member Posts: 6 Member
    Options

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis and recent surgery. Sounds like you've been through a lot, and it's understandable to feel fearful given your previous experience with cancer.