Forums / Discussion / Q & A

3,281 total conversations in 496 threads

+ New Thread

Do People Actually Like Family Guy?

Last posted Apr 27, 2021 at 08:23PM EDT. Added Apr 14, 2021 at 09:23PM EDT
18 posts from 17 users

Going to be honest but its been a hot minute since I've watched an episode of Family Guy.

A lot of adult animation seems to fall into the same trappings of vulgarity and gross out humor that gets overplayed after a while. The only adult animation I really stuck with recently was shows like Futurama and Archer.

In my opinion it has some good moments/episodes, especially in the first 3 or so seasons but overall sucks ass. I think most people feel about the same way?

Also I think a lot of people who watched it as a teenager grew up and have some level of nostalgia for it.

It went from Irony, to post irony, to triple post irony and back. It cycles through these depending on just how reddit your current environment is. Long after its post-revival flanderization, it became a staple in deep-fried ironic memes due to its association with "the common crowd," which lumped it in with "click here to win a free ipad" and other things thought to plague the "ghetto normie" side of the internet. Since then, multiple iterations of /tv/edditors began worshipping it unironically, mostly to go against the grain, but partially to defend what little comedy it has left – a contrarian contrarianism if you will. This cycle repeats itself periodically.

Haven't watched Family Guy in forever, but I really liked the early seasons, the ones before it was cancelled and revived. I don't remember the show very well after that, just that it became increasingly outrageous and crude. The over reliance on cut-away gags was cheap and tiresome.

I still binge watch the Simpsons and King of the Hill, I have no nostalgia for Family Guy though. I have more love for American Dad to be frank and I watched even less of that show.

As someone not from the US, I enjoy it when they are not relying on local US references every 30 seconds. Their Star Wars special is particularly guilty of that. Otherwise, I do not mind the non-sequitur humor. They are basically like shitposts or ironic Doge memes, when you think about it, and I see those being more popular than ever today.

Havent really watched it in a good while. Last episode i watched was the Simpsons crossover. After that, it just fell out of interest due to to a loss of comedy in my opinion. It seemed to get a bit more crude and hot buttony for my likes as the seasons went on. However there are a few clips/episodes that i did genuinely enjoy such as:

I watched family guy as a young teenager and loved it, yet getting older i've realized most of it is just garbage, I only liked it because it is edgy
I went back and watched the seasons I had watched and it was mostly terrible, seasons one and two were genuinly good, but after that it was just mean spirited tryhard edgy humour, almost like it's written by edgy teenagers
what really suprised me is how much worse it is than south park on how fucked up it is

Joke/irony response:

Well, I liked the episodes that were good.

All 4 of them.

100% totally serious response:

Well, I liked the episodes that were good.

All 4 of them.

Saw a few clips from modern Family Guy, there were a few of the jokes that actually got a chuckle out of me surprisingly enough. It's still a shitty show don't get me wrong but when jokes do land they can get a small chuckle out of you.

I love the first few seasons, the modern era is fucking trash most of the time but it'll give me a chuckle.

I really wish that more people would pay attention to Classic Family Guy, like I legit want video essays that go into the early seasons and what they did right.

Also it'd be funny if like the internet came together to straight up make a fan made episode of the show.

Last edited Apr 16, 2021 at 05:38PM EDT

I generally agree with the notion that FG seasons 1,2 and a bit of season 3 were pretty good. Season 4 is when they hit seasonal rot HARD.
Personally, however i consider FG to have been a negative influence in adult western animation. Just look at the stuff we had before FG became relevant: We had King of the Hill, Undergrads, Mission Hill, ATHF, The Oblongs, MTV's Downtown, God the Devil and Bob… Freakin' Clone High.
I still consider FG as an important show, even if it is just as a lesson to "what not to do" on any show.
As of rigth now, i'm only glad we have stuff that is objectively better in every regard, even the stuff that is suppoused to be "aimed at kids" is better than FG.

Probably alone on this but I quickly got annoyed on their heavy reliance on cut-away gags. I don't know, I guess I'd just prefer stuff with more "flow" to it, even for something as inconsequential as a Family Guy episode.
That and the edgy-for-the-sake-of-being-edgy humor.

BigK64 wrote:

Honestly its best to just watch the random clips that get recommended on Youtube then actually watch the whole damn episodes.

The exception being the classic episodes (Seasons 1-3, maybe 4)

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

'lo! You must login or signup first!