Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,536
    Parksy said:
    I actually wouldn't blame other institutions if they waited to see what precedent gets set by this case before proceeding with their own. 
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • ParksyParksy Posts: 1,738
    Parksy said:
    I actually wouldn't blame other institutions if they waited to see what precedent gets set by this case before proceeding with their own. 
    lots and lots of stuff goin on everywhere... but yes to me this is kinda neat.   Precedents are going to be set... reputations are going to be tested... blow back will happen ...  and yeah I'm interested in seeing if other schools are going to follow suit. 

I'll say this...  good on Uof Waterloo for doing this. 
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,072
    Happy Canada Day my fellow Canuckleheads!
    I always ask the kids how old Canada is. And then I ask them how is it that their ancestors have been on this land thousands of years.
    edited July 8
    Do you think I can sue BC soccer if an XY chromosome soccer player injured my female daughter in girls U14 provincial matches?
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,316
    Spunkie said:
    Happy Canada Day my fellow Canuckleheads!
    I always ask the kids how old Canada is. And then I ask them how is it that their ancestors have been on this land thousands of years.
    yeah, I don't really celebrate canada day anymore. celebrating the birth of a genocide seems...uncanadian. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

edited July 8
    What is wrong with taking one single day out of the year to CELEBRATE a great country without the need to beat ourselves up over any issues in our history? We spend virtually every other day talking about how bad the European colonists were (btw, aren’t the First Nations truly the first COLONISTS?), but only through a highly selective lens.

Are we perfect? No, but no country is. But we don’t throw homosexuals off roofs and the like so I honestly believe that we have built a country we can be proud of. For one single day.

Edit: If we truly are a genocidal people here in Canada, we are definitely amongst the worst practitioners in the world, or is that maybe a gross mischaracterization of a (through the lens of hindsight) misguided policy?
    Post edited by DarthMaeglin on

Here’s an honest question, when does colonization become immigration? Personally I don’t see much difference, especially given our multicultural policies (which I support, to be clear).

edited July 8
    Do we cancel Munro (and all her literary works), or acknowledge that things aren’t as simplistic as we think?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/alice-munro-daughter-sexual-abuse-1.7256829

Edit to add her works being cancelled as well.

Spunkie said:
    Do you think I can sue BC soccer if an XY chromosome soccer player injured my female daughter in girls U14 provincial matches?
    not gonna lie... I would like to see this happen if anything just to see the outcome.  Don't mind me asking... is there any more context to this? Like.. type of injury etc.? 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    What is wrong with taking one single day out of the year to CELEBRATE a great country without the need to beat ourselves up over any issues in our history? We spend virtually every other day talking about how bad the European colonists were (btw, aren’t the First Nations truly the first COLONISTS?), but only through a highly selective lens.

Are we perfect? No, but no country is. But we don’t throw homosexuals off roofs and the like so I honestly believe that we have built a country we can be proud of. For one single day.

Edit: If we truly are a genocidal people here in Canada, we are definitely amongst the worst practitioners in the world, or is that maybe a gross mischaracterization of a (through the lens of hindsight) misguided policy?
    This is my take for what it's worth......   and there is a good chance it applies to handful of issues of late. 

Keeping in mind this may or may not have to do with any individuals here.. but as a disclaimer... none of what I'm about to type is aimed at anyone here in particular. 

We're at a tipping point in society... an 'awakening' if you will... thus the term "woke." :) 

On one hand... you have folks who are coming to realize a handful of things... most of which are the atrocities that have been committed not only in our country but BY our country and our governments.  That same government has successfully pulled the wool over a lot of people's eyes through ignorance and mis-education. This WAS a coordinated and purposeful effort.  Of those people, some are passionate and are genuinely pissed off about it. To the point where yes, they want to cancel Canada Day.  Personally... I am very pissed off about it. In particular... I hate that truth and facts were never part of the history that was taught to us. 

On the other hand... you have folks who are comfortable not acknowledging those atrocities and who think Canada is the best, and they won't listen to any other opinions. (Don Cherry comes to mind.) The thought of cancelling Canada Day is so absurd that it borders on offensive in their world view. 

Enter the term.... Truth and Reconciliation. 

I imagine that the folks who want to cancel Canada Day would be a lot more apt to welcome the idea of bringing those celebrations back AFTER the Don Cherry's of the country can openly admit that as a country we have fucked things up real bad. They would be more apt to celebrate Canada Day AFTER one of our awful governments finally started checking off the boxes set forth in the Truth and Reconciliation report. 

That said... for the folks who want to cancel Canada Day... it would also be important for them to understand that we have indeed come a very long way and that a lot of our mistakes were made because we were only following suit of America (which we do a lot).

Me personally.. I love the things that make Canada.... Canada. That includes each and every stereotype that comes along with being Canadian. I love our music and our musicians / singers. I love our geography. I love Terry Fox.. I love Gord Downie. I love the Group of Seven.  I hate aspects of our history... but I also love aspects of our history.  I hate what we did (and continue to do) to Indigenous Peoples amongst other ethnic minorities... but I also love that we were the first country to put into law that we were legally multi cultural.  I personally celebrate Canada Day but understand we have work to do. It's slow work unfortunately. And while I celebrate it..  I also completely understand and respect those who don't. 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    Question for Ontarians... but also those who are in the know and want to chime in :) 

LCBO workers are on strike... 14 days the stores will be closed... and I'm honestly not aware of what happens next. 

Fordsy just released an advert of him on the grill cooking up some burgers with cans of craft beers appealing to the public that even though the LCBO is on strike... there are still ways to get booze and also advertised a new online method (government) of how to get booze since LCBO is closed. 

Curious your thoughts... I'm personally flabbergasted and a bit ticked off. I didn't realize my tax dollars would be funding a program to let people know how to get their booze beyond the LCBO. 

I'm a pothead ... ish ...  If OCS went down... under no circumstances would I accept the provincial government shelling out money to support local cannabis shops and even more so putting out a campaign to educate people on how they can now get their weed. 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    Parksy said:

This is my take for what it's worth......   and there is a good chance it applies to handful of issues of late. 

Keeping in mind this may or may not have to do with any individuals here.. but as a disclaimer... none of what I'm about to type is aimed at anyone here in particular. 

We're at a tipping point in society... an 'awakening' if you will... thus the term "woke." :) 

On one hand... you have folks who are coming to realize a handful of things... most of which are the atrocities that have been committed not only in our country but BY our country and our governments.  That same government has successfully pulled the wool over a lot of people's eyes through ignorance and mis-education. This WAS a coordinated and purposeful effort.  Of those people, some are passionate and are genuinely pissed off about it. To the point where yes, they want to cancel Canada Day.  Personally... I am very pissed off about it. In particular... I hate that truth and facts were never part of the history that was taught to us. 

On the other hand... you have folks who are comfortable not acknowledging those atrocities and who think Canada is the best, and they won't listen to any other opinions. (Don Cherry comes to mind.) The thought of cancelling Canada Day is so absurd that it borders on offensive in their world view. 

I imagine that the folks who want to cancel Canada Day would be a lot more apt to welcome the idea of bringing those celebrations back AFTER the Don Cherry's of the country can openly admit that as a country we have fucked things up real bad. They would be more apt to celebrate Canada Day AFTER one of our awful governments finally started checking off the boxes set forth in the Truth and Reconciliation report. 

That said... for the folks who want to cancel Canada Day... it would also be important for them to understand that we have indeed come a very long way and that a lot of our mistakes were made because we were only following suit of America (which we do a lot).

Me personally.. I love the things that make Canada.... Canada. That includes each and every stereotype that comes along with being Canadian. I love our music and our musicians / singers. I love our geography. I love Terry Fox.. I love Gord Downie. I love the Group of Seven.  I hate aspects of our history... but I also love aspects of our history.  I hate what we did (and continue to do) to Indigenous Peoples amongst other ethnic minorities... but I also love that we were the first country to put into law that we were legally multi cultural.  I personally celebrate Canada Day but understand we have work to do. It's slow work unfortunately. And while I celebrate it..  I also completely understand and respect those who don't. 
    I think I agree with pretty much every word you wrote there.

Now that I’m not so hot about it, I need to say that I have no problem examining our country’s shortcomings and mistakes, I’m just disappointed that a simple greeting and well wishes needed to be twisted and denigrated. To be fair though, I did post my message in a political thread instead of AET so I should have been better prepared to take some lumps.

However I still feel that in the balance of things Canada is still a great country and a worthwhile project and don’t see why, just for one day, we can’t simply sing our country’s praises.

edited July 9
    Parksy said:
    Question for Ontarians... but also those who are in the know and want to chime in :) 

LCBO workers are on strike... 14 days the stores will be closed... and I'm honestly not aware of what happens next. 

Fordsy just released an advert of him on the grill cooking up some burgers with cans of craft beers appealing to the public that even though the LCBO is on strike... there are still ways to get booze and also advertised a new online method (government) of how to get booze since LCBO is closed. 

Curious your thoughts... I'm personally flabbergasted and a bit ticked off. I didn't realize my tax dollars would be funding a program to let people know how to get their booze beyond the LCBO. 

I'm a pothead ... ish ...  If OCS went down... under no circumstances would I accept the provincial government shelling out money to support local cannabis shops and even more so putting out a campaign to educate people on how they can now get their weed. 
    As of yesterday the plan was to open a handful of locations after the two weeks, however today I saw a headline that the province was closing the five stores they were keeping operating for restaurants and bars, so I don’t know if the other plan still stands.

I haven’t used the ocs site since the local shops opened and have used google when I’ve needed to find one of those, lol. Does the ocs site direct you to retail stores? If it does then I wouldn’t really see this ad as any different from making people aware of that function on the ocs website. I’m not sure that there’s direct money flowing to the retail outlets that the locator highlights and these outlets also won’t have the full range of products (most notably hard liquor itself, although that may be available through the province’s website).

As far as I can tell the union’s biggest issue is with the government’s plan to broaden the types of products available in non-lcbo and beer store locations, something I’m not 100% onboard with (but that’s partly flavoured by partaking of 2 things that the government literally keeps out of sight, to say nothing of the warnings that are put on cigarettes these days).

(I now have a couple things to check out on the provincial websites, lol.)

Edit: It looks like one can both look up local pot retailers on the ocs website and order spirits for delivery from the lcbo website.

I’m not sure I mind the Premier of the province letting people know their options (other than the drinks in the ad itself he didn’t endorse any brands). Unfortunately some people need (as opposed to want) continued access as evidenced by a CAMH statement to that effect.

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,803
    Spunkie said:

Do you think that it couldn't possibly happen had it been an XX chromosome player involved? Is the injury a direct result of the player having XY chromosomes, or did it just happen to be that player?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Parksy said:

Now that I’m not so hot about it, I need to say that I have no problem examining our country’s shortcomings and mistakes, I’m just disappointed that a simple greeting and well wishes needed to be twisted and denigrated. To be fair though, I did post my message in a political thread instead of AET so I should have been better prepared to take some lumps.

However I still feel that in the balance of things Canada is still a great country and a worthwhile project and don’t see why, just for one day, we can’t simply sing our country’s praises.
    because you're celebrating the country's "founding" i.e. slaughter of the inhabitants of this land and the subsequent genocide. Imagine for one second what "happy canada day" means to the Indigenous; to those directly and indirectly affected by those atrocities, and the generational trauma that followed it. Maybe you think it's harmless, and in certain company, of course it is, but on a public message board, I'd say it's in poor taste. 

I'll celebrate canada day when we're not comparing it to other nations we look down on, declaring "see, we ain't so bad", but when we collectively set that bar higher, much, much higher. Trudeau said he would. He did some of it. But there's a LONG way to go. 

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

Parksy said:

because you're celebrating the country's "founding" i.e. slaughter of the inhabitants of this land and the subsequent genocide. Imagine for one second what "happy canada day" means to the Indigenous; to those directly and indirectly affected by those atrocities, and the generational trauma that followed it. Maybe you think it's harmless, and in certain company, of course it is, but on a public message board, I'd say it's in poor taste. 

I'll celebrate canada day when we're not comparing it to other nations we look down on, declaring "see, we ain't so bad", but when we collectively set that bar higher, much, much higher. Trudeau said he would. He did some of it. But there's a LONG way to go. 

Fair enough party pooper, that’s your right of course, just as it’s my right (and one I suggest the majority of the country embrace) to NOT feel any guilt or shame on the one day of the year set aside for celebrating our country.

Calling anyone who celebrates Canada Day uncanadian is in pretty poor taste as well and thanks for telling me again how I should post.

You throw around the word genocide quite liberally in regards to our country, you’re going to have to accept that many strongly disagree with that claim. Was the purpose of the various government programs over the years to eliminate the First Nations from the gene pool or was it to embrace their people into our culture? Were they misguided by the THINKING OF THE TIME that the route to do so included elimination of their culture? Absolutely they were wrong to do that by today’s standards but at the time they genuinely believed they were helping the First Nations. That’s one hell of a far cry from herding people into ovens or distributing blankets seeded with disease.

I straight up refuse to judge the past by today’s morals other than to look back and acknowledge the progress that’s been made. Anyone that does judge those who lived in the past by current values is a dangerous fool (in my opinion).

And what does Trudeau have to do with anything other than as bait, lol? Have you heard how our international reputation has suffered under him, to say nothing of the social damage he’s done to the country he ostensibly governs?

Parksy said:
    Spunkie said:
    not gonna lie... I would like to see this happen if anything just to see the outcome.  Don't mind me asking... is there any more context to this? Like.. type of injury etc.? 
    I mean I described some of her symptoms right like out of her right eyes she couldn't see the bottom half black spot until she looked there and then the black spot would disappear spotty visit in the next day headache concussion. You know she couldn't go out and play and have fun like normal yesterday cuz of a headache and that's like 5 days later.
    PJ_Soul said:
    Spunkie said:

Do you think that it couldn't possibly happen had it been an XX chromosome player involved? Is the injury a direct result of the player having XY chromosomes, or did it just happen to be that player?
    I have another thread going on this in which I stated that the force on the ball  from a male would be greater than a female. Maybe a female goalie wouldn't have even stopped the initial strike goal if they weren't a head taller than the other girls.
    Parksy said:

Fair enough party pooper, that’s your right of course, just as it’s my right (and one I suggest the majority of the country embrace) to NOT feel any guilt or shame on the one day of the year set aside for celebrating our country.

Calling anyone who celebrates Canada Day uncanadian is in pretty poor taste as well and thanks for telling me again how I should post.

You throw around the word genocide quite liberally in regards to our country, you’re going to have to accept that many strongly disagree with that claim. Was the purpose of the various government programs over the years to eliminate the First Nations from the gene pool or was it to embrace their people into our culture? Were they misguided by the THINKING OF THE TIME that the route to do so included elimination of their culture? Absolutely they were wrong to do that by today’s standards but at the time they genuinely believed they were helping the First Nations. That’s one hell of a far cry from herding people into ovens or distributing blankets seeded with disease.

I straight up refuse to judge the past by today’s morals other than to look back and acknowledge the progress that’s been made. Anyone that does judge those who lived in the past by current values is a dangerous fool (in my opinion).

And what does Trudeau have to do with anything other than as bait, lol? Have you heard how our international reputation has suffered under him, to say nothing of the social damage he’s done to the country he ostensibly governs?
    haha. I didn't tell you how to post. I merely stated I thought it was in poor taste. You can post as you like. 

Fine, I'll add "cultural" to genocide. I'd agree, that is more accurate. 

excusing what the government and the church did back then as "trying to help them" is a pretty well known racist trope, I hope you know. It isn't "today's morals". Why is it that conservatives trot out "don't judge yesterday by today's morals" when it suits them at the same time as "today's society lacks morality", depending on the convenience?

Once again, you accuse me of calling you names (I don't) and then you call me a dangerous fool. well done

I mentioned Trudeau because he's the first PM to make a serious pledge to help mend the previous ills (beyond political BS, in my opinion, because he's the first to actually DO something, just not enough). Don't comment on it if you don't want to. I'm not bating you. I couldn't care less if you respond or not. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

Spunkie said:
    Parksy said:
    Spunkie said:
    I mean I described some of her symptoms right like out of her right eyes she couldn't see the bottom half black spot until she looked there and then the black spot would disappear spotty visit in the next day headache concussion. You know she couldn't go out and play and have fun like normal yesterday cuz of a headache and that's like 5 days later.
    as liberal as I am, I just don't like it. Identify what you feel you are, but biologically, xx plays with xx's and xy's play with xy's. That's just fair. And safe. I'm not so concerned about bathrooms and all that, but physical and contact sports? that's a hard no from me. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

edited July 11
    Parksy said:

haha. I didn't tell you how to post. I merely stated I thought it was in poor taste. You can post as you like. 

Fine, I'll add "cultural" to genocide. I'd agree, that is more accurate. 

excusing what the government and the church did back then as "trying to help them" is a pretty well known racist trope, I hope you know. It isn't "today's morals". Why is it that conservatives trot out "don't judge yesterday by today's morals" when it suits them at the same time as "today's society lacks morality", depending on the convenience?

Once again, you accuse me of calling you names (I don't) and then you call me a dangerous fool. well done

I mentioned Trudeau because he's the first PM to make a serious pledge to help mend the previous ills (beyond political BS, in my opinion, because he's the first to actually DO something, just not enough). Don't comment on it if you don't want to. I'm not bating you. I couldn't care less if you respond or not. 
    Where did I excuse anyone for the wrongs that were done? I didn’t, if you could actually read what I post. I’m honestly starting to think that you deliberately misread me here.

And where did I accuse you of calling me names? I didn’t, I actually called you a name. And yes, if you judge the people of the past based on your own moral code then I will call you and your ilk dangerous fools until they put me in the ground (except if you actually read what I wrote it should be pretty clear that I wasn’t referring to you specifically so am I calling you a name in that case?). A large part of why I call such people dangerous fools is also because of their generally highly selective readings of the historical facts and the misrepresentations that result.

As far as Trudeau and FN goes, how was that first Truth & Reconciliation Day go for him? Is water safe for all FN to drink 9 years after he was first elected PM (and pledged to have it resolved during his first term)? Yeah, he’s done wonders for that group. Tangential to Justin, where are the calls to rename the international airport named for his father, who maintained the residential school system?

I wonder what the word was in 1867 for genocide? I’m not sure there even was one.

Hugh, I realize you probably couldn’t care less but every time you talk about genocidal colonists you’re shitting on my ancestors. My family traced our roots back to early 1600s Quebec so my family’s been here for almost every step of the slaughter according to you (or does the killing only begin after Canadian Confederation according to you?). You suggested it’s insensitive towards FN people for me to post Canada Day greetings but you are equally blindly insensitive (and when you get called out on it you double down in my experience). I only state this so you understand my offence, nothing else (well, maybe to give Alanis a lesson in irony as well, lol).

Edit:  It turns out the word genocide was created in the aftermath of the Holocaust. Such an abhorrent practice hadn’t been identified yet (I won’t argue that it didn’t happen over the mere millenia of human existence).

Parksy said:

Good point.  And yes Trudeau said he would... and has fumbled. 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    Saying "they were trying to help them" is called excusing their behaviour.

I didn't say YOU were uncanadian. I said the act was. Learn the difference. 

Gee, I'm so sorry to offend the colonizing white people of yore. Reminds me of my Baptist brother whining about being called a bigot because he thinks gays will go to hell. 

Blindly insensitive to those that perpetuated, or participated in, or turned a blind eye to, an atrocity. Wow. I'm crushed. 

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

edited July 11

Gee, I'm so sorry to offend the colonizing white people of yore. Reminds me of my Baptist brother whining about being called a bigot because he thinks gays will go to hell. 

Blindly insensitive to those that perpetuated, or participated in, or turned a blind eye to, an atrocity. Wow. I'm crushed. 

We’re going to have to agree to strongly disagree that “they were trying to help them” is excusing what happened.

Edit: And there’s the double down too. And I’d even say a triple down. Why?

Am I really the only person that believes one can acknowledge the motivations of the people of the past but doing so doesn’t condone or excuse what was done?

Am I really the only person that believes one can acknowledge the motivations of the people of the past but doing so doesn’t condone or excuse what was done?
    It's ongoing.
    good lord. "they were trying to help them" was their way of saying they were fucking savages (ever hear the french term for native americans? sauvage mean anything to you?) who needed to evolve. that's not help. just like americans tried to "help" black people from africa. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

We’re going to have to agree to strongly disagree that “they were trying to help them” is excusing what happened.

why what? you're complaining I'm consistent and whining that I won't agree with you?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

good lord. "they were trying to help them" was their way of saying they were fucking savages (ever hear the french term for native americans? sauvage mean anything to you?) who needed to evolve. that's not help. just like americans tried to "help" black people from africa. 
    I think you pretty well summed up how the Europeans of the time viewed their world. Isn’t it good that we don’t look at things the same way today? Am I going to judge them for being people of their time? No, but you will with glee it seems. You’ve asked me before to allow for nuance but you won’t allow it whenever it pleases you, I just don’t get it.

If it can’t be acknowledged that there’s a difference between the policies that grew of that thinking (which kept the people alive with the (wrongheaded) goal of assimilation), as opposed to simply gathering them up and slaughtering them, then there’s no point in going any further.

why what? you're complaining I'm consistent and whining that I won't agree with you?
    Again you appear to have misread me, is that intentional?

What I was asking was why you insist on doubling down when someone tells you that you’ve offended them?