Enough with the covers already

2»

Comments

• lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,977
    Said it before, but I hate Baba, now. PJ has ruined this song forever for me. I have no problem with a cover or two, but at least do something new and interesting. It would be amazing if they did a completely new cover every night of the tour. It would probably make the boots sell a lot more. I know this would be difficult, as remembering songs at their(our) age isn't easy. Hell, I always forget my own lyrics and I write them!
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
    2024 Sacramento, CA
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,934
    I can't say I've studied the setlist stats since they've gone to the shorter sets, but it seems the way they've shortened the sets has been to scale back on the covers immensely.

The show I saw in Austin last tour had one (1). It was Baba, as the show closer. Everything else was an original, including Out of My Mind (!!!).
    I think that actually is a cover. (Oscar emoji from The Office not included)
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • KM73780KM73780 Posts: 1,075
    I’m with the OP on this one 
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,192
    wiscojam said:
    5-7 covers per show?
    When they did 3 hour shows, that wasn't uncommon.
    I remembered there being a lot of covers in Wrigley 18. I just checked the setlist.  
    The covers were:

Night 1
    Leaving Here
    Missing
    I won't Back Down
    Know Your Rights
    Rebel Rebel
    RITFW

Night 2
    Rain
    Throw your Hatred Down (still consider this a cover)
    I am a Patriot
    We are Gonna Be Friends
    Baba

That's not counting the Betterman or Daughter tags, I think those are fun and not usually a full song.

1 or 2 covers are fun. 5-6 is a little much.
  • BlackSmileBlackSmile Posts: 95
    Being from Canada I've always wanted them to do a Tragically Hip cover.  Maybe tag the bridge of "At the Hundredth Meridian" into the middle of "Daughter".  In my dreams that works perfectly 
    Calgary, Alberta (1993) / Missoula, Montana (2003) / Calgary, Alberta (2005) / Saskatoon, Saskatchewan (2005) /Chicago, Illinois (2007) / Calgary, Alberta, (2009) / Calgary, Alberta (2011) / Calgary, AB (2013) / Missoula, Montana (2018) / Vancouver, BC (2024)
  • just_onejust_one Lisbon Posts: 2,087
    covers im hoping to hear on the 6 shows i got to : 

it´s OK, dont bother playing daughter if you dont play this.
    sonic reducer
    i wont back down

will get baba and RIAFW for sure

PLEASE dont play purple rain
  • kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 695
    Being from Canada I've always wanted them to do a Tragically Hip cover.  Maybe tag the bridge of "At the Hundredth Meridian" into the middle of "Daughter".  In my dreams that works perfectly 
    I’ve always though they would kill on Bobcaygeon
  • northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,840
    They burned through their cover good will from me Boston N2 '18. I'm not the biggest fan of the covers but I was rolling with it until that night. 
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.